4 Ways to Keep the Love Alive After Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

For those of us who are lucky enough to have awesome boyfriends who make Valentine’s Day one of the most memorable days of the year, we know the heart-warming feeling of getting a stuffed animal and boxes upon boxes of chocolate when the clock strikes midnight. But when the day is over, sometimes all of the romance and butterflies of Valentine’s Day slip away too quickly. Coming from a year and a half long relationship, I know it can be hard to keep the romance of the day alive. Here are some tips to keep your relationship on the sweet side.

1. Gifts are not reserved for holidays and birthdays.

Nothing keeps the passion of the holiday alive like surprising your man with a gift every once in awhile.  Whether it’s a burrito from Chipotle or a bottle of his favorite cologne, he won’t be able to stop smiling.  Maybe it will even inspire him to get you a little something too!

2.  Don’t save dressing up for special occasions.

When I went out with my boyfriend for Valentine’s Day, he commented on how pretty I looked.  I hate to say it, but that is probably because I walk around his apartment in sweats, my hair in an ugly bun, and no makeup on; it was just a shock for him to even see me looking good enough to take out in public. A touch of makeup and trading sweatpants for jeans can go a long way in making your man feel more attracted to you.

3.  Make a plan to go out on a date.

College students often spend most of their time with their significant other doing homework, eating in the dining hall, and going out to parties.  It can make all the difference just to get out and spend some real quality time together.  Making a plan to go on a date every few weeks or so could really strengthen your relationship and keep the feeling of togetherness alive long after Valentine’s Day is over.  Some ideas include seeing a movie together, going bowling, or even late night laser tag to get your heart pumping.

4. Plan a surprise date for each other.

Pick a day with your boyfriend that you will both be free for in advance. Then, plan a romantic day and night to surprise him! In the spring, you could take your guy through a walk in the Arb and lead him to a picnic full of insomnia cookies and Panda Express.  It will not only be oh so romantic, but also memorable for both of you.

Jaclyn Nagel is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the University of Michigan. She is a senior studying English and Creative Writing and earning a certificate in Sales. She enjoys eating copious amounts of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and reading the Harry Potter books over and over again. Follow her on instagram as @manisandmojitos! And make sure to follow our chapter's Twitter and Instagram at @hercampusumich!