3 Tips for Staying Warm this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The past few days in Ann Arbor have definitely been difficult. Temperatures as low as 3°C have made walking to class feel like walking through Antarctica. For Michiganders, this is a bit of a strange phenomenon. Michigan is known for its wacky weather, but very rarely does it dip this low in temperature. Thankfully, there are different things you can do to stay warm in this frigid weather. Check out these fun tips, which have an added bonus of persuading you to take a warm Spring Break vacation!

Tip #1: Accessorize! One thing that is pretty nice about the cold Michigan winters is that we get a chance to dig out our cutest winter apparel from the back of our closets. No matter what kind of hats you’re into, hats are a must this cold winter! If you think hats don’t match your look, or you’re worried it will ruin your hair (God knows I have), then opt for a warm headband. Cool headbands are an effortlessly easy way to look stylish and keep yourself warm! Grab an old sweater or an old hat and cut out the fur trimming, then sew the fur to a winter fleece headband and you got yourself a warm alternative to a hat. Also, don’t forget those scarves. My favorite warm winter scarves are the knitted infinity scarves. They do a magical job keeping in your body heat. If you’re thinking about splurging for winter, look into Burberry scarves, a staple scarf in every girl’s closet. The soft cashmere will keep you looking trendy and warm. Finally, when looking for winter gloves, check out the ones that have fleece lining or fur inside. These are the gloves that keep you the warmest. While I love my new BCBG Max Azria studded leather gloves, they might not be the warmest option during these next couple of months. Wait to rock those out till March with your new spring coat

Tip #2: Hot drinks. Hot beverages are one of the best things about the cold weather. Most coffee shops and tea places are busy all day long during the chillier days. Stop by on your way to class and pick up a hot mocha or latte. Some places even offer hot apple cider into the January and February months. But if you really want to embrace a new “zen” lifestyle, try out some teas. Tea contains tons of antioxidants that are good for you while also boosting your immune system. It also protects your bones as well as reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. In addition, tea not only has less caffeine than most coffees do, but it also contains no calories. If you really want to adapt a healthy lifestyle, switch to herbal and green teas instead of black teas, it’s better for your teeth.

Tip #3: Warm thoughts. Sometimes just thinking about warm holiday memories can increase your body temperature. Well, maybe not by a lot, but an article for Psychology Today states that “warm, fuzzy thoughts can make you feel up to 7 degrees warmer.” Psychologist Xinyue Zhou found that sentimental thoughts really can warm your mind and in turn warm your body. So, next time you’re feeling chilly, try thinking of the last good memory you have, and you’ll instantly notice you’re no longer feeling so cold.

Don’t let the frigid cold stop you from enjoying your winter semester. Personally, this is my last semester I get to spend enjoying the city of Ann Arbor before I move on from my undergraduate career. Snow, sleet or rain, I want to spend my last few months doing what I love to do most at school. So, I’m going to find every possible way to fill my last semester at U of M with warm thoughts and happy memories. Go Blue!