12 Items You Will Not Want to Forget to Bring Abroad!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

December is finally here and that means it’s time for finals (yuck!), the holidays, multiple viewings of the movie Elf, and a plethora of delicious food.  Another thing December brings is the final month before students leave to study abroad for the winter term.  I know that at this time last year I was crazy busy preparing myself for an adventure abroad in Barcelona.  I thought I had considered every possible item to pack yet somehow I still forgot some essential items.  Here is a list of 12 items that you will want for your own travels abroad:

1. Travel Size Toiletries – I would highly recommend packing “mini” toiletries such as soap, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, etc.  I bought my toiletries abroad, but didn’t realize that I still needed travel size containers or “mini” toiletries for weekend travels. 
  2. Deodorant – I cannot speak for all of Europe, but at least in Spain the deodorant was quite interesting.  The only type my friends and I could find was spray-on deodorant.  Does it serve the purpose… yes!  However, ladies trust me when I suggest packing enough to get you through your time abroad!
  3. Pictures – One of my roommates decorated her bedroom walls with numerous photo prints she brought from home.  I thought it was such a perfect idea – not only did it brighten up her plain walls but also gave her a little piece of home.
  4. Carry-on Suitcase – I can almost guarantee that you will use one of the discount airlines for weekend travels.  Look up the size requirements for carry-on suitcases on airlines such as Ryan Air, Vueling, and Easy Jet before you travel.  The size differs from the acceptable carry-on size in the United States.  These airlines are extremely strict and will charge a ridiculous amount of money if your carry-on is even slightly too large. 
  5. Notebooks – The only notebooks I could find in Europe had graph paper… not the easiest type of paper to take notes on!
  6. Hair Straightener – I decided to leave my Chi straightener at home out of fear that it would “blow” if I used a converter.  I figured I would buy a European straightener, which I did and it was an awful decision!  I bought a decently nice one too but it just could not compare.  Seriously, I did not realize how much I could miss my straightener but I have a newfound appreciation for it.
  7. Versatile Clothes – Never in a million years did I anticipate traveling to Switzerland.  One month later I was tanning on a beach.  My advice would be to bring clothing for all types of weather.  You really have no idea of where you might end up travelling until you get there and it’s nice to be prepared.
  8. American Snacks – Eat them sparingly… but you have no idea how badly you will miss those favorite American snacks so pack a few! 
  9. Cross-body Purse – Be careful with your purse abroad because pick pocketing is really common.  Wearing a cross-body purse allows you to hold onto and keep an eye on it at all times.
  10. Video Camera – My roommate brought a video camera for us to take videos of everything we did those first few weeks abroad.  Unfortunately it got stolen and that was the end of our videotaping (so sad!).  However, we had so much fun documenting our experience and it was an awesome way for us to relive those special moments.   
  11. Scarves – You will quickly realize that Europeans love scarves… lots of them and in every color, pattern, and fabric imaginable.  Be fashion forward and pack a few to wear from the start!
  12. Workout DVDs – I spent wayyyy too much money on a gym membership.  Bring some workout DVDs or learn to enjoy running because you will save lots of money if you do!