Why the Rainy & Chilly Days of Autumn Should Be Cherished

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

As the summer’s vivid hues give way to autumn’s chilly and crisp embrace, many of us would like the sun and warmth to last longer. However, fall is a season worth enjoying beneath its outwardly gloomy façade. Unlike common belief, autumn’s dark and rainy days offer unique opportunities for reflection, renewal, and inspiration. Today, we will look closer at why autumn, with its shorter days and crisper air, is something to cherish and enjoy.

Autumn is a time of exceptional natural beauty. The transition from bright green leaves to shades of warm colors like red, orange, and golden yellow combine to create a beautiful tapestry that drapes the trees. This transformational phase into an array of vibrant shades displays the wonders of autumn. Taking time and strolling in a park or forest enables us to experience this incredible natural phenomenon, fostering a deep connection with nature.

With a chill to the air, it introduces the perfect excuse to indulge in the coziest comforts. As the days grow shorter, this is the best time to pull out your favorite sweaters and boots. This season is for binge-watching your favorite show, sipping on that pumpkin spice latte, or lighting a candle and curling up to a good book. The joy of snuggling underneath a soft, cozy blanket as the rain gently taps on the window pane is purely an autumnal experience.

Come late September or early October, we see a surge in a bountiful harvest of apples, pumpkins, and other delicious treats like apple cider donuts and pumpkin pie. Making space on the calendar for visiting a local farm for apple picking or stopping by a farmer’s market for their traditional fall harvestable goods allows you to savor the season’s rich flavors and support local agricultural businesses. Meanwhile, the picture-worthy landscapes and brilliant colors of autumn make any photographer or memory maker dream, with every photo capturing nature’s breathtaking beauty and transformational foliage and sharing the moment with family and friends. Together, these elements infuse the season with community and creativity, curating a time to relish in both the festivities and the artistry autumn inspires.

Of course, we must remember that autumn is the home to various holidays, such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, and many more. These events bring opportunities for loved ones to gather to celebrate and create long-lasting cherishable memories. Do you know what you will be for Halloween this year? Or what dishes are you making for Thanksgiving? There is no time better than now to start brainstorming ideas for those parties coming up soon.

Lastly, autumn is also a perfect time for reflection and renewal. Transitioning from a bright, vibrant summer to a slow, somber autumn allows us to step back, slow down from our everyday lives, and reflect on our year so far. Autumn is the time for setting new goals, making plans, and finding a sense of self-restoration; in other words, for healing. Use these shorter, gloomier autumn days to allow healing, growth, and renewal time. Whether the healing practice you choose is journaling, starting a new hobby, or immersing yourself in nature, give yourself the space to ask yourself what you want to change or work on for yourself and your goals.

Autumn is a season full of visual delicacies, cultural festivities, and opportunities for introspection and enjoyment. The uniqueness autumn brings to the four seasons is the sense of comfortability, one that makes for the coziest and most nostalgic memories, making it a season we should all cherish more as we continue. Remember, taking it slow, reflecting, and relaxing is okay; we all deserve grace during this beautiful season.

Ciara Santiago

U Mass Boston '25

Ciara is a Junior majoring in psychology at the University of Massachusetts Boston. She loves to paint, watch movies, listen to music and podcasts, and read avidly. They advocate for mental health and wellness and hope to share this passion with others.