What Is Women’s History Month & How Can We Celebrate It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

March is a month full of celebration, Saint Patrick’s Day, the first day of spring, and Women’s History Month. There are a few colors that reappear in correlation to the month. March is now associated with the colors green, purple, and white to honor the women who have made such big impacts on the world. According to the Today Show, these colors were adopted in 1978, and then became a nationwide symbol for the month itself.

The color green represents mountains and valleys symbolizing hope, new beginnings, and growth, green also brings feelings of being close to nature and boosting our moods. Purple represents the symbolized royalty in England and women’s quest for freedom. Lastly, white represents equality, purity, truth, and freedom. Gold is a bonus Women’s History Month color with thoughts that it represents the sunflower that was seen as a “beacon of hope.” The psychology behind the colors represents uplifting moods, calming and inspiring effects, and rebirth. 

The National Women’s History Museum details the creation of Women’s History Month. In the early 1980s, feminists were fed up with the lack of recognition of women’s contributions to society and campaigned for inclusion. The National Women’s History Project successfully lobbied for national recognition for women, President Jimmy Carter officially declared the Week of March 8 as National Women’s History Week. Women’s History Month began as a small celebration in Santa Rosa California, and it took seven years for March to officially nationally become Women’s History Month when Congress passed Public Law 100-9. Congress also passed an additional resolution authorizing the President to proclaim March of each year as Women’s History Month. 

Each year there is a theme assigned to Women’s History Month, published on Chase Oaks Church, with 1987 being “Generations of Courage, compassion, and Conviction” to 2023 being “Celebrating Women Who Tell Stories” with seven women being recognized such as Jane Addams who was the first American women to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, Mother Teresa who won the Nobel Peace Prize for her work helping the poor and vulnerable around the world, and many other incredible women. 

Every year we use this month to recognize courageous women’s achievements from around the world and reflect on how women have made the world the place that it is today. Here are some ways that you can celebrate women throughout Women’s History Month:

• Explore and support women-owned small businesses and organizations
  • Research historical women’s stories and learn why they have made such an impact
  • Visit internationalwomensday.com to learn and understand more on the topic
  • Discover women-led storytelling
  • Spread awareness on social media
  • Support women’s nonprofits
  • Have a party to celebrate the important women in your life
  • Watch women directed and produced movies
  • Write yourself, or a women who inspires you, a love note
  • Take yourself or a woman you appreciate out to dinner or make them a home-cooked meal
  • Support women authors, artists, creators, etc.
  • Advocate for women (everyday of the year not just March)
Audra Cote

U Mass Boston '25

Audra Cote is a writer at the Her Campus at University of Massachusetts chapter. She excels at writing and enjoys reading and hanging out with friends. Beyond Her Campus, Audra works at Nike, she is currently a junior and is planning on using her communications major to move up to corporate after she gets her Bachelors. Audra also works in the Deans Office of College of Education and Human Development. On her free time, Audra hangouts out with her roommates and friends she grew up with in her hometown every chance she gets and loves to go home to see her family and her puppy Navy.