This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

When the early ’90s and early 2000s are mentioned, the first thing that most people think about is the fashion and musical influences of the era, but did you know that one of the biggest and most popular icons of the ’90s generation was Britney Spears?

Britney Spears, the Princess of Pop, not only created a huge impact for pop music, but she also had a huge influence on many aspects of the industry for women. Spears’ effect goes beyond her trending albums and hits, she shaped pop music as we see it today.

Spears’ journey to success began when she was just eleven years old, she starred on “The Mickey Mouse Club” from the years of 1993-1994. The young star performed in the TV show alongside other talented children who would also become huge stars in the future like Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, and Ryan Gosling. In 1998, Spears began her musical career with her debut single “…Baby One More Time,” which quickly became a hit and debuted number seventeen on the Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. By 1999 Spears became a global phenomenon.

After releasing her iconic albums, singles, and music videos, Spears was already known all over the world for her music until she started to perform. When people talk about Spears some of the main things brought up are her amazing and energetic stage performances which she got to show during her “Oops!… I Did It Again Tour” and the “Dream Within a Dream Tour.” Her performances became legendary and still influence pop artists until this day. Most artists wanted to have that type of stage presence.

Besides music, fashion, and dancing Spears is also remembered for her relationship with her childhood co-star Justin Timberlake. Spears’ relationship with Justin was one of the most talked about celebrity romances of the last two decades and is still mentioned until today as one of the most high-profile relationships in the industry. From the late 1990s to the early 2000s, the solo pop icon and the “NSYNC” star started dating, quickly becoming a media main topic. Their impact is still brought up to this day with many fans even dressing up as the couple for Halloween and other red carpet events.

However, in 2002 the couple announced that they had broken up because of challenges involving their personal relationship, life, and the media. Despite their perfect image, both of the artists released songs that are speculated to be about each other like Justin’s “Cry Me a River” and Spears’ “Everytime.”

As years passed, Spears showed to the world that she will always be an influence and a star despite everything she went through with the media and with her family. As we look back on Britney Spears’ career we can understand why she deserves so much recognition for her contributions to pop music, as she shaped an era where women who were incredibly criticized got the chance to shine and be themselves while continuing to be kind to those who try to bring them down.

Lorenza Zanaga

U Mass Boston '26

Lorenza Zanaga Writer Boston, MA University of Massachusetts Boston - Major: BS- Psychology I am passionate about Psychology and writing where I get to communicate with others. This specific journey has allowed me to learn so much and meet different people where I get to also dedicate my time to understanding human behavior. My interests outside of my study area are makeup, beauty, fashion, music, and art. I hope to learn more over this adventure. Feel free to contact me: ✉️: Lorenzazanaga@gmail.com