Life > Experiences

Lululemon Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

If you’re reading the title of this article you might be a little skeptical as to how a multi-billion dollar company could possibly change the life of a 21-year-old average girl, but it’s true…Lululemon changed my life in the best way possible. 

A year ago at this time I was the most lost I have ever been and I was in a rut of anxiety and depression. I used to be a student at Boston College and I had dropped out my first semester of my Sophomore year due to my struggle with mental health. It was crazy to even think about dropping out of school and taking some time for myself, but it was a necessary step to get to where I am today. While I was not in school and thinking about where I wanted to transfer/if I even wanted to transfer, I needed to find a job, and this is where Lululemon comes into the picture. My friend had applied to Lululemon just two weeks before I did and they were in desperate need of new hires for the upcoming holiday season. I have always wanted to try and work a job in retail as I love fashion, but I was skeptical about applying because I was anxious and didn’t want to leave my house. I ended up applying and got the job which was the first step to get out of the rut I was in. 

On the first day of my orientation shift, I was so anxious. If you know someone with anxiety or have experienced any kind of anxiety, you know how awful it is. I couldn’t sleep the night before because I was so nervous and the day I woke up I didn’t want to go. I remember sitting with my Dad who comforted me and finally we decided that I needed to go and that I was going to be okay. I was still anxious the entire time at my shift but by the time I left I felt really good about myself. This was the first time I had gone out of the house, outside of my comfort zone, as I was borderline agoraphobic. I’m thankful my Dad pushed me to go because lululemon has been one of the most positive experiences for me in a time where I desperately needed some support.

Working in retail will push you outside of your comfort zone and it will force you to have those meaningful connections with strangers that you will probably never talk to again. Throughout the past year, I have made the most meaningful connections with people. People from high school that I never thought I would see again. Regular customers that come in on a weekly basis. People that have never shopped at Lululemon in their lives. The people that I am most connected to at Lululemon are of course my coworkers. I love the friendships that I have made and will continue over my life and I am so grateful for the company that brought us all together. Yes this job can suck at times, yes the customers are mean, but throughout it all we have each other. I’m sure all of you know that the most important aspect in a job is not just how much you get paid, but who you are working with. I love the family that I have made in this community, and it was something I severely needed as I was lacking meaningful connections with people during my gap semester.

My managers and my coworkers have all been so supportive of my needs and my journey with school as well as mental health and my anxiety. Lululemon has increased my drive and need to work and be the best worker I can possibly be, and it has made me value the importance of working as a team. I am also an exercise and health science major and have always been more interested in the medical field, but at staff meetings and team check in’s as well as merchandise shifts I have learned some tactics in marketing and the business world that I never got a chance to explore. 

Working at Lululemon has taught me a lot about myself and put me on the path that I needed during the hardest part of my life. Although they’re known for their expensive leggings and overpriced clothes, they gave me a second chance at life that I never thought I would get and they are now family. No matter where you are in life there will always be someone or something that will help you get up in the end!

Hana Lee

U Mass Boston '25

I'm currently a junior at UMass Boston and I am an exercise and health science major! I love hanging out with friends, shopping, traveling, reading, and listening to music. I am aiming to become a Physicians Assistant after undergrad and would love to stay in Boston ◡̈