‘Barbie’: A Film For The Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

For the last week, the internet has been abuzz about the teaser trailer for Barbie, a film coming to theaters this summer. Notably starring a selection of Hollywood veterans, such as Ryan Gosling, Will Ferrell, America Ferrera, Michael Cera, and Margot Robbie as the titular character, it has been praised highly on social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram for being a film “for the girls” rather than the aptly-named “filmbros.” For the same reason, it has also received negative reactions from film enthusiasts. But, as with every social media phenomenon, there’s more to the story than the argument we see on the surface. 

Let’s backtrack for a second. The hype for Greta Gerwig’s Barbie started with the release of its first promotional photo back in April of last year, as well as several videos of the actors filming “in the wild.” The additional factor of Gerwig’s name being attached to the movie also excited many who follow the film industry — Gerwig has directed several female-focused coming-of-age films in the last few years, which means she comes to the film with a cult following of her own, and experience with women-centered features. The first trailer was released back in December, giving us glimpses of the bright world and characters of the film. The most recent development, a second teaser trailer, was dropped April 4 along with a series of promotional photos highlighting all of the main characters, including a diverse range of Barbies and Kens. Sure, before this trailer dropped the public knew there was a level of celebrity involved with the film, but I don’t think anybody guessed just how many recognizable faces to expect on screen.

The film was also given a release date of July 21. This is where the “debate” starts.

Also releasing on July 21 is Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, a war drama about the creator of the atomic bomb. Nolan is known for directing films such as Dunkirk, Interstellar, and Inception, having been nominated for five Oscars and six Golden Globes. Among film fans, he is noted for making films with a heavily masculine following and target audience, often with drama and action at the center of his projects. The “filmbros,” according to Urban Dictionary, are a type of film fan, often male, who “think they have the best opinions [on] every movie and your opinion is always sh*t.” On the internet, it is often joked about how these types of fans are major followers of Nolan’s films, as well as other obvious film series and franchises due to their mainstream success.

It has now become a debate as to which film will dominate the box office in the first week of its release – the “film girlies” rooting for Barbie, and the filmbros rooting for Oppenheimer.

There has also been a trend where film girlies have memed traditionally dominant male characters, often those praised by filmbros, as asking for tickets to see the Barbie movie. My personal favorite is one featuring the cast of “The Sopranos.” This direct dig, albeit humorous, has only brought the debate to the forefront.

So why is everyone rallying behind Barbie in this totally societally-imposed war? I have a few theories, but the one I believe to be true stretches below the surface. For many, the Barbie doll is a symbol that tells young girls anything is possible and that you can accomplish anything you dream of. Barbie has taken on an endless number of careers and is consistently portrayed as strong and independent. While she is often paired with her boyfriend Ken, that doesn’t mean she relies on him at all. They have never been married, and in many depictions Barbie is taking care of herself and her younger sisters all on her own. A favorite Barbie adaptation for Gen Z, Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse, even portrayed Ken as rather dumb and useless — while he always tried to help, Barbie was the one to save the day and was really “running the show.” She is an iconic figure of female empowerment and a symbol of feminism (though those who lack media literacy often argue she isn’t) and from what we have seen of Barbie so far, the story seems to be aligning with this narrative.

What people want in films right now is quality with a message, in this case a social message, but there is also a want for less-serious films. With the theming Barbie brings to the table, the movie will no doubt be fun for the average viewer, but for anyone analyzing the film, there will be layers to pull from. This mix of iconography, talents, and moral movements is sure to produce a successful film. But will Gerwig and the film girlies be able to beat Nolan and his army of filmbros? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Riley Letendre

U Mass Boston '25

Riley is the Senior Editor of HerCampus at UMass Boston and a sophomore English major with a Creative Writing concentration. If she can't be found writing in her journal, she's probably watching an 80s movie.