Your Survival Guide To The End Of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

All right, I know, it’s the final stretch of school and the last thing we want to do (especially us graduating seniors) is school work. Unfortunately we have no choice but to spend countless hours in the library because our advancement in college and attainment of a degree depend on it.

With all the added pressure that comes at the end of the semester, it is important to remember to take care of yourself first and foremost. A healthy body and healthy mind will not only improve your test scores, but will also help keep your spirits up as the next few weeks come to a close.

Here are my tips to staying happy and healthy amidst finals, research papers, group projects, presentations and whatever else your devilish professors throw your way–they are all pretty basic, but often forgotten when life gets #cray.

• Eat, hydrate and sleep

These are the basic functions of any living being, but somehow they seem to go by the wayside when we get into study-mode. Remember to drink some water with that coffee and eat something other than that to-go sandwich at lunch. Prepare now by going to get fiber-filled snacks like nuts, fruit and berries for snacking. Package them in little Ziploc baggies to take with you during late-night study sessions. Also… don’t forget to sleep! Pulling all-nighters is not good for your body, mind or mood.

• Breathe

?Breathing is one of those things that our body does without thinking–but I’m taking about deep breathing and taking the time to focus in on your breath. This is a meditative technique you Yogis  might be familiar with, a technique that you hopefully use in practice every day. When things start to get stressful, or you find yourself hitting a brick wall while writing that 10-page paper, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Sit back in your chair, step up away from your desk or even lay on the ground. Next, close your eyes and take 10 or more deep breaths–feeling the air enter your lungs, filling them to their make, then exhaling all the stale air and negative energy out. 

• Exercise

Exercise and movement is the best way to relieve stress. Make sure you are not abandoning your workout routine these last few weeks because daily movement will help keep your stress levels low, boost immunities and keep your mind sharp as a tac. If the breathing about isn’t helping you mellow out, go for a walk, do a 15-minute yoga sesh or try some kind of HIIT circuit. Get Moving UMass posted a few videos to UMass Campus Recreation’s YouTube last semester during finals, showing us workouts to do at home when we only have 10 minutes to spare. 

• Smile

Seniors, this is it. This is the end. But I won’t get too nostalgic on you. Take time to smile these next few weeks. Enjoy UMass, do all the things you have been meaning to do in Amherst the last four years and cherish the company of your friends. School is important, but your health and happiness should take precedence over all else.