Your Post-College Crisis Averted: Different Options After Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You’re just trying to live in the moment and never leave the most amazing four years of your life, but people keep attacking you with the common question: “So, what are you going to do after college?”

The G word. Seniors are used to it (though not necessarily happy about it), juniors start to plan ahead for this scary time, and underclassmen pretend it will never happen.

There are many options of what college graduates can do post senior year. Your idea of a “dream future” can change daily or maybe you have a set path you want to go on. There are many options, and there isn’t a “right” one. It’s really what is best for you!

Education:

Even if you don’t want to be a teacher, you can take a step to encourage students to pursue their own education. City Year’s goal is to serve at-risk students to encourage them to stick with school in order to graduate. The program aims to prevent students from dropping out. Teach For America teachers work to provide equal educational opportunities for all students. TFA provides intensive training in order for their teachers to be most effective in the underprivileged area they work in for two years.

Peace Corps:

There are many different types of opportunities through the Peace Corps. Their mission is to promote world peace and friendship and is done by combating issues such as climate change, pandemic disease, food security, and gender equality and empowerment in the US and abroad.

Gap Year:

Travel the world! When else are you going to have the opportunity to explore, go places you’ve always wanted to or never knew existed? You don’t have any responsibilities yet or a career you are tied to, so it is the perfect time. Graduates can even do a gap year volunteering in the states or in another country. There are endless volunteer opportunities and programs all over the world that relate to any major or career path.

Grad School:

If you finish your undergrad and are ready for another degree, go for it! There are many programs to enroll in and it does not even have to be along the same subject line as your undergraduate career. It is important to gain a deeper background in what you would want to do for a career, but sometimes people still get jobs that don’t completely relate to what they studied. Medical School, Law School, and other forms of higher education all require standardized tests for the application process, so it is important to find out what schools and programs require which tests so you have plenty of time to take them before applying.

Get a job:

Classic. That’s what college is for, right? Your first job probably won’t be your last, but it is a great way to start and build up in your field.

For each option, it is important to do your best, establish relationships which could lead to further connections in the future, and build a name for yourself in your area of career interest.

Don’t stress, Collegiettes. Post-College is an exciting new chapter in your life just waiting to be written!

Karen Podorefsky

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst