Stan Camp Hub Graphic?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Stan Camp Hub Graphic?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design

Your Outfit Isn’t Ugly, It’s Camp!

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

A lot of you may have noticed the high fashion wardrobes that many UMass students have paraded around campus this year and you might be wanting to do the same. But with a lack of funds, styling tips, and 8:00 am’s, being hot just isn’t nearly as accessible as it used to be for new fashionistas. 

One of my new favorite TikTokers, Griffin Maxwell Brooks, has made a name for himself with his unconventional style and for coining the phrase, “there’s no such thing as ugly there’s only hot and camp.” For those of you confused by the 2019 Met Gala reference, camp is, according to our helpful friend Wikipedia, “an aesthetic style and sensibility that regards something as appealing because of its bad taste and ironic value.” Aka, when you find a Hawaiian shirt at Salvation Army that is so ugly you can’t resist swiping it off the shelf and making it your latest staple piece. I think Griffin’s tagline is truly inspiring to anyone trying to get into fashion as our world’s second phase of the roaring 20s approaches us. As Griffin reminds us, as long as the individual feels good, they look good too. 

In honor of the topic of unconventional style, I’ve decided to interview some of what I would consider my most fashionable classmates to see if they have any styling tips for our HC community! 

Andrew Bove (he/him ‘23) is known by strangers on campus as the guy with shorts in -5° weather and for his engaging tropical button-ups. “The weather is basically a non-factor for me, I usually try to pick a color that resonates with me in the morning and go from there. I try to get my shoes to match too” he shared. When asked how he would describe his style he told HC, “vacation-esque,” which for anyone who knows Andrew can absolutely say that’s true! 

Mia Lepardo (she/her ‘24) shares that comfort is a huge factor when getting ready for her classes. “I have to take into account how tired I am in the mornings and decide to dress in an outfit that will help me take on the day.” She reminds us that if you feel comfortable, you feel confident! 

Maya Gakidis (she/her ‘24) says she feels her outfits “are very granola based,” and super earthy-crunchy which gives her an extra sense of confidence and a trail mix of comfort to conquer the week. 

HC Umass chapter president, Danielle Efrat, (she/her ‘23) was able to fill us in on her fashion tips as well, sharing that, “being confident in an outfit is really important to me, so even if an outfit isn’t like the most elaborate fashionable thing, as long as I feel good in it then it’s a good outfit.” This is probably why she always looks so amazing while leading our chapter meetings!

Acxell Miguel (he/him ‘23) is always best dressed for any occasion and it would seem that his outfits play a huge role in his daily life. As he tells HC, “my mood plays a huge part in what I will be wearing that day. If I wake up in a not-so-great mood, I always make it better by looking better. ‘Look good, feel good’ is a motto that I’ve been practicing the past couple of months and it just works” which has helped bring a classic vintage style to the table. 

Charlie McDonald (they/them ’23) really emphasizes the importance of confidence in their outfits by sharing, “letting me express my perceptions of masculinity and femininity fluidly and in ways which I feel comfortable doing,” gives them that extra oomph to tackle whatever riveting discussions they plan to lead in class that day.

Emily In Paris/Netflix

At a school with over 30,000 students, there is no excuse when it comes to breaking out your favorite clothes regardless of how shy you might be to rock them. Let this article work as YOUR fashion bible and continue to practice your affirmations, “I am hot. I am camp. I am worth it.”

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Faithe Shatford

U Mass Amherst '23

Faithe is a senior studying education and English at Umass Amherst. They are from Gloucester Ma and like to play music.