Yikes… The 8 Make-Up Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

1. Blue Eyeshadow (…just don’t)

Eyeshadow is something girls tend to very easily mess up. From matching your shadow color to your blouse, to leaving different colors unblended, to not using primer so your shadow has sweat off in all different directions by the end of the night, I’ve seen it all. I think eyeshadow becomes difficult for girls because they simply try too hard at it. I, myself, prefer really neutral, natural colors (i.e. Urban Decay’s Naked Palette). But shadows come in tons of different colors and shades and normally if you just pick one that brings out your natural eye color (the internet will help you find out which do these very easily) and swipe a little on top of primer, you can’t really mess up too bad. That being said, I’ve yet to see a girl pull off wearing blue eyeshadow. No matter how hard you try to find a good shade, you just end up looking twelve and/or trashy.

2. Too Nude

Nude lips are making a comeback this year. They can be done, and can look good, but if your lips are so nude that they blend in with the rest of your face, you’re going to look creepy and nobody will want to kiss you. Just saying.

3. Over-bronzing

I know how irritating it can be to deal with your pastiness during these brick cold months in Amherst. Please, as I am currently struggling to do, resist the urge to go to the tanning beds because their danger has been proven so that’s just plain risky. Bronzer is a pale girl’s best friend while we wait it out for some spring sunshine BUT only if you use it right. You may not just swipe two diagonal streaks of orange over your cheekbones, leaving them an alarmingly different color than the rest of your pale face, and you may not brush it onto your entire face so that your body is way more pale than your face. Come on, ladies!

4. Smokey Eye

Everyone loves a good smoky eye… emphasis on the good. The smoke eye is a style that far too many try and far too few get right. You’re supposed to look sexy, smoldering, seductive… none of which are the qualities of a raccoon. Grab your eye makeup remover and watch a few YouTube tutorials and try again.

5. Winged Liner

I asked my gay best friend for any advice he had on what I should write about for this article and he said “that Egyptian thing everyone’s trying to do with their eyes.” He was talking about winged eyeliner. So ladies, don’t make yourself look like an Egyptian. Or do, I guess, but just make sure both eyes are even.

6. Caked Mascara

We all wish we had the time, money, and energy to be wearing false eyelashes at all times. But when you don’t, please don’t try to overcompensate by caking on layers and layers of your mascara. I promise you it does not have the same effect.

7. Mob Wives Look

It’s Friday night, you just aced a test, you’re feeling skinny today and you’re ready to have a great night. So you decide: “Screw the rules, I’m going all out with my make-up tonight!” – and go for a strong eye and a strong lip. Good for you! Seriously, I call this the Mob Wives look, and it can be done but it must be in a very tasteful and classy way. To compare to the stars of VH1’s reality show Mob Wives, you wanna look like Drita (top) and not like Renee (bottom).

8. Ombré

Last but not least, I know this isn’t about make-up but I really felt the need to include this. Girls are dying their hair ombre like crazy. It’s an ombre epidemic out there. And I love it, it’s really a beautiful look on a lot of girls, especially Khloe Kardashian. She is the queen and I adore her and wouldn’t be opposed to any fashion trend that she can rock. But please, for the love of God and all that is holy do not attempt ombre on yourself. And if your hairdresser (who you should know personally and trust with your life because hair=life) does not give you a perfectly gradual ombre, you sit in that chair and you do not leave until you look like Khloe Kardashian. Okay I’m exaggerating, but seriously, make her fix it.

Makeup is fun! Don’t be afraid to try new things and experiment with it, but also don’t be afraid to wash it all off right after if you accidentally made yourself look like a clown. If all else fails, a swipe of mascara and some fire engine red lipstick and you’re good to go.

Katie Gainer

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst