Yes, Rewatch That Show: The Power of Comfort Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The transition from living at home to living at college was by far the biggest change I’ve experienced so far in life. I was feeling pretty unsettled when I first got here, so what did I do? I started watching The Office for the millionth time. Putting it on in the background when I was getting ready for bed or doing some homework was like having an old friend in the room and gave me a little bit of familiarity to keep my mood up. There is so much power in our own personal comfort media — here’s why you should embrace it!

There are all kinds of comfort media, like shows, movies, YouTube videos, books, music, and even podcasts. These are the movies that you grew up with, the books that got you through a tough time, and the songs that always make you feel good. In times of stress and discomfort, it makes sense that we want to turn to something familiar to make us feel better and to act as our own personal inanimate support system. In the same way that you’d want to make your favorite comfort food after a hard day, you’d want to turn on your favorite comfort show, too.

I feel like sometimes the main driver behind watching a new show, listening to a new album, or reading a new book is because everyone else is doing it. There’s a strong emphasis today on consuming new media the idea that there’s no productive point in watching something you’ve already seen before — instead, you should be catching up on the latest show so you can know what other people are talking about. But, guess what? With comfort media, the point is that you aren’t being productive and you aren’t taking in new information. You’re relaxing!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as excited as the next girl for the newest Marvel movie, and I can’t wait for Taylor Swift to release new music, but I also know that there’s so much value in being able to pick up your favorite book you’ve read a thousand times and instantly relax. Finding comfort in old shows isn’t boring, and it certainly isn’t something to feel bad about. We all need comfort and familiarity in tough times (or great times!), and the media we consume is a great place to find that friendly warmth.

So, will I be restarting all 15 seasons of Criminal Minds soon after I finish the last episode? Probably. Will I keep rereading the Harry Potter books, which I’ve been doing since elementary school? Of course. Will I listen to Taylor Swift’s 1989 the next time I need a mood boost? Yes, like always. Finding the little things in life that make you feel good and holding onto them is so important. So, the next time you’re in the mood for some comfort and familiarity, you know what to do. Get comfy, get relaxed, and rewatch that show!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Emily Day

U Mass Amherst '24

Emily is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Business Management and Communication and pursuing a minor in Spanish. In her free time, she can be found hanging out with friends, dancing on the UMass Tap Team, or reading a new book.