Style > Beauty

Winter is Coming: Here Are My Skincare Favorites To Get You Through The New England Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Winter is basically here, and with the change in weather, you should switch up your skincare routine. As temperatures fall and humidity in the air decreases, the air starts to suck the moisture out of our skin. Therefore, it is vital that we use products that help to regain that moisture in order to keep your skin from drying out and cracking. Here are some of my favorite affordable products to use that help me combat looking crusty during these cold New England winters!

La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Facial Cleanser

Just like the name suggests, this cleanser is a gentle yet hydrating cleanser that is a staple in my winter skincare routine. The cleanser has a soft cream-like texture that is formulated with ceramides and niacinamide that help to bring back moisture to your skin. It also contains glycerin that helps hydrate the skin. This product is also great for anyone who has sensitive skin since it is formulated without fragrance.

COSRX FULL FIT PROPOLIS SY

While I don’t necessarily use a toner all that often, I have tried this product and honestly have nothing but good things to say about it! This product is meant to be used as soon as you are done cleansing. The toner feels rather light and is formulated with Propolis and Honey extract, two ingredients produced by bees. These ingredients help the skin to retain moisture, leaving your skin feeling smooth and hydrated. This product is also great for sensitive skin since there are no artificial fragrances and is hypoallergenic.

The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Serum

This product is a staple in my skincare routine no matter the time of year. There are certainly other brands that do a simple hyaluronic acid serum such as this product, but I really like this particular one because it doesn’t leave my skin feeling tacky afterward. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant, which means it has the ability to draw moisture from its environment, thus providing our skin with hydration. It also increases the production of skin-identical lipids that help to fortify the skin barrier. The best results are seen when you apply the serum on damp skin and it can be used daily. No matter the brand, go get yourself a hyaluronic acid serum for glowing plump skin!

First Aid Beauty ULTRA REPAIR CREAM INTENSE HYDRATION

If you have skin like mine that gets super dry in the winter, you might want to switch out your summer lotions to a thicker cream-based moisturizer. I have been using this cream for the past two years and it has been a real game-changer. This product is safe for sensitive skin and is formulated with colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, and allantoin which are all great for soothing and hydrating the skin barrier. This cream is also a great option for anyone suffering from eczema.

Aquaphor Healing ointment

I don’t have much to say about this product other than I really hope you already have this product. This is the only product I ever need to remedy my chapped lips and eyelids. During some particularly harsh weather conditions, the skin under my eyebrows can sometimes start to flake and this product always helps to soothe and hydrate my skin. This is also a great substitute for cuticle oil during the cold months.

Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Radiant Body Lotion

While we try to take care of the skin on our faces, we must remember not to forget the rest of our bodies. This product has been an essential part of my skincare routine for several years now. They have reformulated the product since its conception but the key ingredients, shea, and cocoa butter have stood the test of time. These key ingredients help with nourishing the skin and locking in moisture. It leaves you feeling soft, hydrated, and smelling great!

If you try any of these products, I hope that you fall in love with them just like I have. Happy moisturizing!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Anushka Myndapanda

U Mass Amherst '23

Anushka is currently a senior and majoring in Mathematics and Psychology. She loves to spend time with family and friends, reading books, staying active, and is passionate about climate change and sustainability.