Why You Should Add “if you celebrate” To Your Holiday Well Wishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a white, culturally Jewish, woman, it can be difficult to navigate my cross-sectional identities. I don’t have a “Jewish” last name or any specific features that would give away that I am different. I am used to people assuming that I am Christian or at least, not assuming I’m Jewish. Whenever I tell people about my identity, I feel like I’m revealing some big secret even though it’s not that deep. In the back of my mind, I’m always thinking “I hope they aren’t anti-Semitic.”

Growing up in a town with a lot of other Jews, I was normalized. I knew that UMass would be more diverse in some ways, and less in others. I soon realized that I was probably one of the only Jews in my classes and I found myself apprehensive to tell others about it. 

pink roses
Photo by Sidney Pearce from Unsplash

When the Christian holidays roll around every year, people often acknowledge them while checking out at the supermarket or wishing someone well. Though I appreciate when people wish me a happy holiday that I do not observe, I wish they would add a string of words to the end of their sentence; “if you celebrate.” Though it may not seem like a big deal, it makes a world of a difference to me. Being “different” than the norm and mostly experiencing what that means in college has been a challenge in itself and the inclusivity of the three words I previously mentioned is comforting. “If you celebrate” means that I can be who I am and don’t have to pretend to be anything else. It means you are accepted as you are. You are not alone.

So all I ask is that you be more aware of the different people around you and never assume anything.

Sign that reads “you are worthy of love”
Photo by Tim Mossholder from Pexels

Alana Zeilander

U Mass Amherst '23

Alana Zeilander is a sophomore majoring in journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in business. At UMass, Alana is the secretary of the PR Club and an active member of UMass CHAARG. During her free time, you can find her bullet journaling, watching Marvel movies, or drinking large cups of coffee. To learn more about Alana and connect with her, check out her personal website atzeilander.wordpress.com.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst