This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The first thing that comes to mind is the glaringly obvious question: what is rape culture? In short, rape culture is the concept that sexual violence is considered a social norm and teaches society not to get raped instead of not to rape. At a glance, it seems absurd that people would think this, and yet millions of college students don’t realize that we still live in a society that accepts sexual violence as normal, even though it’s anything but. So Collegiettes, what exactly shows that we still live in a rape culture and how can we do our part to change this?

The media has taught us to think that the only rapists out there are scary, hooded men who lurk on dark streets waiting to attack women walking alone. Unfortunately, anyone can be a rapist. Even worse, approximately 2/3 of all rapes are committed by someone known to the victim. It’s this kind of information that goes unnoticed in Sex Ed classes, leading to survivors holding back from reporting. It’s crucial that if you know someone or have personally experienced sexual assault to report it, no matter the relation to the victim.

On college campuses, one in five women are predicted to be sexually assaulted and one in eight of those assaulted report it. The unnerving statistic supports the fear of reporting that many victims experience. Whether it’s fear of shaming themselves or not having enough proof, tons of victims refuse to report it and allow their assailants to continue on and not deal with their deserved punishments. Reporting attacks are vital to showing other victims that they aren’t alone and serving as advocates for others to step forward with their own stories.

Victim blaming and slut shaming are huge factors in what makes our society a rape culture. As people, we have the right (no matter what color, size, shape, age, height, gender you are!) to wear whatever the hell we want, and no one can tell us otherwise. Sadly, one of the first questions many officers ask when dealing with sexual assault is “what was the victim wearing?” Dressing like Miley will never mean they’re asking for it, period. No one should have to defend themselves on the basis that they looked like they would’ve said yes, no will always mean no.

In the realm of the pushed-aside factors lies the experiences of minority, LGBT, and male rapes. Rarely are any of these factions highlighted, even though in many cases rape is much worse in these situations. These survivors often lack resources and face a uniquely cruel stigma compared to white heterosexual female survivors. Due to the fear of seeming weak, men rarely speak up about their assaults, leaving them alone in their situations. Similarly, LGBT and minorities suffer the same isolation and fear. Again, advocacy is absolutely key to opening up communication and shedding light on reality.

These are just a few examples of what makes up rape culture, but plenty of other everyday experiences add to it. Living in a rape culture is nothing to take lightly, things need to change and the only way is through educating the masses on how their own actions influence others and their perception of rape culture. So do your part and keep the conversation going, you never know who you might inspire! 

Photo Sources: 12, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Elena Lopez

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst