Life > Experiences

Why Wordle Should Be Apart of Your Daily Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Disclaimer if you don’t know what Wordle is: A free online word guessing game that allows you six tries to guess a five-letter word. If you guess a letter correctly and the square turns green, then that letter is in the word, and it is in the right spot. If the letter turns yellow, then that letter is in the word but in the wrong spot, and if the letter turns gray then that letter is not in the word. The aspect that is so addicting is you only get one shot a day to play. If you guess wrong, you can’t guess again until tomorrow’s new word. 

I can’t be the only person whose Facebook has been taken over by little green, yellow and gray squares every morning. At first, I ignored them as I thought maybe the baby boomers were starting a new trend only they would understand. But eventually, people began asking me every day if I played Wordle. Thankfully I caught on and it is now a part of my daily routine. Wordle has taken over all of our phones for months now. It is fun, simple, and challenging. Some people say it’s the best part of their day… I am some people. If you haven’t already begun playing the 5-letter word game, here is every reason why you need to start:

It’s like a fresh cup of coffee every morning

Now some may debate me on this one as their morning coffee truly is their favorite part of the day, but there is a reason why people have played similar games like sudoku and crossword puzzles every morning. They are excellent for your brain and get your day started on the right track. Just taking a few minutes every day to challenge your brain and not think about the million other tasks you need to get done can be so beneficial for your overall mental wellbeing. 

It is challenging but in a very simple way

The game is rather simple. Guess a five-letter word in six guesses. It seems like it should be a relatively easy game. Then why is it such a challenge that leaves people guessing wrong all the time? I think it’s simply because there are 150,000+ five-letter words and a lot of those words can be different by only one letter. This simple yet mind-jerking challenge makes getting the word right that much more rewarding, especially when you’ve gone a few days getting it wrong. 

It’s a conversation starter

“Did you play Wordle today?” has become my favorite thing to ask people. I usually get one of three answers: 1. “Yes! It was so easy/hard” 2. “No! Don’t tell me I haven’t played yet today!” 3. “No. What is Wordle?” In which case I go on to give all of the above reasons for why they should play. The best part is it is a game for everyone. I’ve bonded with grandparents and even young kids about it.

It hasn’t happened yet, but I am waiting for the day I guess the Wordle on the first try and 5 green squares come across my screen. I’ve never shared my green, yellow and gray squares on social media, but that will definitely be the first time I do. Seriously, just give it a try. You will not regret it. Play today’s word here: Wordle

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah Walsh

U Mass Amherst '23

Sarah is a Senior at UMass Amherst double majoring in Communication and Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Her favorite tv shows are Friends, The Office, and New Girl. And her favorite movies consist of the entire Harry Potter series. She loves to workout, spend time with family and friends, and walk her puppy, Rory.