This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When I first fell in love with reading, I fell in love with the characters and the stories. An added bonus, I soon realized, was the shared camaraderie between readers. Much like the way Marvel fans buzz after a movie release or Game of Thrones fans gossip about the final season, readers have their own secret language and groups for the seemingly infinite fictional and non-fictional worlds and their characters. 

As I got older (and reading became more popular across social media platforms), the once incredibly accepting reading community shifted to something much darker. Perhaps the reading community was always this way, but before I was too young to really pay any attention to it. After being shut out of the “normal” crowd for so long (on account of reading being considered boring and nerdy for a really long time), readers began turning on each other, dictating what other readers can and can’t read. Suddenly, I was returning to the part of my life where I was embarrassed to tell others about my favorite books. At a certain age, reading Young Adult (YA) novels becomes shameful and classics transform into the only valid source of literature, as claimed by “elite” and “more experienced” readers. Even among the community of those who prefer YA, readers scrutinize one another, dictating which books are worth reading and humiliating those who prefer “a lesser than” series or novel. 

image of the book their eyes were watching god
Original photo by sarah dwyer
Well, I, for one, don’t particularly love the classics (that being said, if you love classics, WE LOVE YOU TOO! I’m so glad you enjoy them). Sure, I like the occasional To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), and Beloved (Toni Morrison) will forever remain one of the best books I’ve ever read, but they’ve never been my go-to book, not even when I started enjoying them more during the course of the pandemic. Among certain readers, classic is synonymous with superior artistic quality and the immediate indication that it is better than every other book. Though many classic authors did pave the way for present-day literature, there are sci-fi books, fantasy novels, or even YA books that provoke insightful conversation by tackling issues like the steps of grief after losing a best friend (History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera) or impostor syndrome felt by biracial/bicultural youth (Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram). These books, like classics, give readers an understanding of issues that have transcended time itself and therefore have significant value.

two women in hijabs reading
Photo by Gabby K from Pexels
And even if you’re not reading to spark a commentary about a societal or personal issue, your reading choice is valid! Enjoy reading a book solely focused on romance or about fantastical creatures in a mystical land. The fact that you’re reading at all should be celebrated by the book-loving community, not judged and picked apart. So what if you’re not reading Homer or Austen, or if your favorite book was originally written for preteens? You are still opening your mind and challenging yourself in many ways that others choose to avoid. 

To the readers that are gatekeeping our community: What are you aiming to get out of this other than the further division of a community that thrives off of acceptance and inclusion? In a group where its members have been commonly chastised for their love of literature, gatekeeping should not and will not be tolerated. 

And yes, I still read Harry Potter (JK Rowling) at eighteen. 

Lucie Daignault

U Mass Amherst '23

Lucie is a fifth-semester member at HerCampus and a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Lucie is the vice president of the criminology club, a small group leader with CHAARG, and a volunteer with MASSPIRG. She loves writing and is excited to share her ideas and learn from her peers!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst