Why the Quesadillas at Roots Café Save My Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you live near (or frequent) the area of the Commonwealth Honors College community, you are well aware of the hidden treasure that is Roots Café. From their grab-and-go breakfasts to their pre-made sandwiches and salads, Roots serves its purpose as a convenient little store and eatery. But where Roots really thrives is with their quesadillas. If you haven’t tried their quesadillas, you may be thinking, “Wow, how crazy is she to be writing an article on quesadillas? They can’t be that good.” And while you may be right in thinking this, my goal is to inspire you, as the quesadillas have inspired me to relay their significance to you now.

Quesadilla being held in front of Root\'s Cafe
Megan Hawkins

Craving a Root’s quesadilla isn’t just a regular occurrence, and wanting a quesadilla from Roots is usually sparked by a specific set of circumstances. You may be feeling exhausted from a long day and the thought of walking to a crowded dining hall is repulsive. You may be feeling a little under the weather and just want convenience and comfort. You may be feeling a little blue and find happiness in devouring a greasy, cheese-loaded tortilla. In all of my encounters with the Roots quesadilla, none have consisted of just any normal day. Something usually knocks my life off balance for a little, and the only thing in that moment that seems like the solution is the Roots quesadilla. 

When an off day arises and you’re feeling like a quesadilla is your solution, the fix is so easy! All it takes is a short walk over to Roots, a quick wait, and suddenly you have your warm tortilla and melted cheese in the palm of your hand. Whether you cozy up in front of the TV in your dorm under a warm blanket or can’t resist and eat it at the tables in the café, everything about the quesadilla is so simple and consoling. While it may just be some melted cheese and a fried tortilla, eating it feels like so much more. It’s a comfort food that never fails to instantly relieve your stress and sadness, even if it’s only temporary. This is not to say that you shouldn’t eat a quesadilla when you’re having a wonderful day, but there is something different that is refreshing and reassuring when you get a Roots quesadilla during hard times.

Getting this quesadilla saved you another walk to the dining halls in the cold and darkness. It allowed you to stay in your comfy clothes and relax after a long day of classes and work. This quesadilla may seem so simple, but it’s through little things like a quesadilla that we are able to keep going when life gets difficult. So, when in doubt, get a quesadilla.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Megan Hawkins

U Mass Amherst '24

Meg is a sophomore at UMass Amherst and is a Psychology Neuroscience and Chemistry double major! She loves everything about the outdoors, but hiking/backpacking and biking are her favorites. She plays tennis and loves to bake cupcakes, and her perfect day would consist of going on walks with her cat, Kal.