Why The Office Is My Comfort Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This coming May, it will have been three years since the last episode of The Office aired. A show centered on the workers of a paper company named Dunder Mifflin, its dull-sounding synopsis gave humor and happiness to so many people, including me. Each episode was memorable, offering iconic lines and hilarious events, and every character seemed to be a favorite. 

Although the show has been over for some time, it’s fun to see people still discussing it and remembering their favorite parts. Thankfully, Netflix provides all nine seasons of this fabulous series and whenever I’m feeling down, it is always there to make me feel all warm and fuzzy once more. There is no better way to explain why this show is particularly perfect in every way than through the most beloved characters. 

Michael Scott –The Boss

Michael is the intolerable, but eventually loveable boss of Dunder Mifflin.  He’s (in a massive way) the very essence of many other bosses of America, which is what makes his interactions with all his employees so relatable. While he comes across as annoying, over the course of the episodes, we realize how lonely he is and how he really views his co-workers as his family.  Consistently, despite his many flaws, he shows his love and support to every co-worker, and through that, we grow to love him back.

Jim Halpert – Sales Department

Jim seems to know our pains and sufferings as he’s the main man of the show who just loves to stare directly at the camera whenever something ridiculous happens.  We could always count on him to understand the stupidity of the office environment.  His pranks on sales partner Dwight were always hilarious to watch, especially since Dwight never seem to learn just how crafty and patient Jim could be. We watched as his beautiful friendship with Pam blossomed into a romance, followed by a marriage and his own family. One of the more relatable characters in the show, he always was one of the first to make me smile and laugh.

Pam Beesly – The Receptionist

The kindest and most patient character in The Office, Pam started off as a quiet and meek character who soon grew into a confident saleswoman by the end of the show. Her development as a character was the most poignant, as we saw her deny herself so many opportunities of happiness until she finally became brave enough to go after what she wanted. So many of us related to her struggle and, when watching the show, we feel that we too can overcome our fears and find happiness. Yet while she changed, she never lost her kindness and I always found that to be the most heartwarming thing.

Dwight K. Shrute – Sales Department

The Assistant Regional…my bad, Assistant to the Regional Manager, Dwight takes his work so seriously that it sometimes even concerns Michael. He talks a big talk about not caring about his co-workers, but over the seasons we see his love for them show up more.  He serves as the odd co-worker that every person has to face when they go off to work. He grows beets back home, has an intense love for karate and the law, and can’t seem to get a handle on any kind of common sense. Despite his strangeness, every episode he never failed to make me laugh and anticipate how he would try to get back at Jim or attempt to gain the manager position.

Angela Martin/Oscar Martinez/Kevin Malone — Accounting Department

These three came to be such an unlikely trio. 

Angela’s conservative ways mixed in with Kevin’s goofiness and Oscar’s know-it-all attitude always gave way to the funniest banter. Their relationships were lovely to watch unfold as well, especially when Oscar comes out as gay. It was always heartwarming to watch Angela slowly move past her beliefs and love Oscar, even having him become the godfather of her son. 

Kevin, dumb but loveable, always had me smiling with his silly observations or in his case, misleading observations.  He stands up for Oscar and Angela and it’s awesome to see his character take them under his wing.  The three were such different characters, but they created such a great trio to watch over and over again.

Ryan Howard/Kelly Kapoor – The Temp and the Customer Service Rep

Ryan and Kelly were the on and off again couple of The Office. When together they fought, and when they were apart, they could not seem to function without the other. While they did not seem to grow too much as characters (the finale showed the two running off together yet again), their odd relationship kept me laughing and sighing in exasperation. On their own, Kelly knew her worth and although she was always a little ditzy and saw herself as the popular girl of the office, I grew to love her personality.

Poor Ryan had to deal with the weird obsession Michael had with him, although it was too funny for the rest of the audience. As one of the younger workers in The Office, I connected to him in his need for something bigger or even his complete addiction to technology devices. He never got the amount of screen time I wanted him to have, but he offered so much to the show and I was always happy to have him on my screen.

All of these characters (plus the many I didn’t mention) hold a place so close in my heart. The stories and adventures had me feeling like I was experiencing their adventures as well. It has always remained something that has helped me make it through the tough times and had me smiling when I felt like I couldn’t. I know that The Office has a place for me and will always be there, no matter what.

GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Anastasia Armstrong. English Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst