Why Never Giving up Is Like Winning an Oscar: As Told by Leonardo DiCaprio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

They say to embrace adulthood because these are our “golden” years. Hello all-nighters and deadlines! It’s not like I’ve been waiting for you forever…

There’s always a moment when you’ve accepted the reality that you’ve got a lot of work and there’s no possibility that it will ever decrease, no matter how long you wait for a miracle to happen *drowns in tears from orgo*

You think about your summer job where you worked your butt off to have some spending money for school. Oh you spent it alright– on textbooks, more textbooks, and if you’re lucky, an online textbook!

You simultaneously remember your tuition payment

Then there comes the academics. Remember that time you had moves like Gatsby, thinking you totally aced the exam you spent a generation studying for?

But then you get the grade back 

At that point you probably contemplated exotic dancing 

But there’s also some self-reflection on life goals, which is always a good thing

If you disregard the stress and take it one step at a time

And you have at least one cheerleader by your side no matter what (because everyone needs that #1 bae)

And if you keep reminding yourself to hold on with an iron grip no matter what (make room on that raft, Rose!)

The reality is that things will work out in the end

It might take a few tears, some tubs of Ben & Jerry’s,  five Oscar nominations and 21 years…

But knowing that you never gave up feels like winning an Oscar. Hey, if Leo could do it, so can you!

Keep moving forward and don’t stop for anything or anyone. You’ve got one life so make it count. Build a door for opportunity if it doesn’t come automatically knocking. When life gives you lemons, you can either make lemonade, stick it in your ice tea or even make it into a lemon cake… who knows! Just use it. Leo has faith in you. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Hi friends! (I'm not done but I don't know what else to say).
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst