tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I’m Proud to Attend UMass Amherst (And Why You Should Be Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As college undergrads at UMass who are trying to juggle clubs, academics, and a social life all at once, the daily stresses of being a student can be overwhelming at times. We need reminders every now and then of why we’re glad to be attending a thriving college like UMass Amherst. So Collegiettes, here are several reasons why you should take pride in being a Minuteman!

1. There’s no pressure to dress up for classes.  

Overall, students at Umass aren’t interested in owning the latest fashion trends. You can wear whatever you want to classes; you won’t be judged if every day is a sweatshirt day for you. Go for it!

2. Eat your heart out. 

The food on campus is award-winning for a reason. You’ll never get sick of eating “General Tso’s Chicken” or trying mini desserts at Hamp. They have a variety of food options like gluten-free, halal, and vegan to suit your needs. Also, there are student-run businesses like Greeno Sub Shop and Sweets N’ More that you can’t experience anywhere else. Many of the dining options stay open into late hours of the night for your convenience, especially when you’ve had Domino’s Pizza for days.

3. The campus is constantly being updated.  

One of the newest designs is The Integrated Learning Center. This popular study spot is one of much more to come, and if you don’t like a building? Maybe it’ll be renovated soon!

4. The Dubois library is a bookworm’s dream.  

One of my latest discoveries is that the library has access to vintage magazines. There are countless spaces within the building to study, and you can enjoy scenic views while lounging in comfy chairs!

5. There’s great access to transportation.  

It’s easy to find a bus route if you want to take courses at the five colleges nearby. The suburban area is nice because there’s free transportation from PVTA buses, so you don’t have to drive or bring your own car on campus. There’s also a trolley that will get you to the shops and cafes in downtown Amherst. 

Lastly, my top reason why I’m proud to attend UMass Amherst…

Overall, it mainly comes down to the people here; I’m glad I came to UMass Amherst because of the solid friendships that I’ve made, and the coworkers that I’ve gotten to know. The relationships that I’ve formed in college make this big school feel like a small town; I’m constantly meeting new people due to this enormous campus. I’ve met friends in the dining commons, through mutual friends, in school clubs, and even in the bathroom. 

UMass never ceases to amaze me.

*All photos courtesy of Erica Setow.

Erica Setow

U Mass Amherst

Erica is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst.  She has a love for meeting new people, trying mini desserts, and engaging in creative projects.  As a former English major, she is constantly trying to make people laugh with her stories, and she has plenty of them to share.  
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst