This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It could be argued that Taylor Swift is one of the best (if not THE best) female artists of the 21st century. I have been a huge fan of Taylor Swift since her career began 15 years ago. It’s awesome to see how much Taylor has grown and changed throughout the course of her career. And I have loved growing and changing right along with her. Taylor is my ultimate celebrity role model and I’ll always be in her corner.

Unfortunately, Taylor has had a rough go with things lately. It is widely known that she had a huge falling out with her former record company, Big Machine Records, after it was purchased by Justin Bieber’s manager, Scooter Braun. Because of this, she lost all of her masters and wasn’t able to begin re-recording her music library until this year. In the course of 2021, she has been able to re-release two of those albums to her fans. Fearless (Taylor’s Version) was released in April and Red (Taylor’s Version) was released just last week. Finally, these are her songs and there is something so magical about that. What’s even more magical is that because her vocals really haven’t changed that much, the slightest changes make the songs even more powerful. 

Taylor has also faced criticism for her list of exes. I strongly believe that this criticism — and borderline harassment — is completely unwarranted. There are very few things about Taylor Swift that need to be controversial. She hasn’t gotten in trouble with the law and to quote one of her song lyrics, she is just “a girl (woman) trying to find a place in this world!” However, for the past five years, Taylor has been in a happy and successful relationship with the British actor Joe Alwyn. I am so happy to see her happy! 

I will admit that Taylor and her music have gotten me through a lot of hard times. I was bullied a lot in middle school and high school. Unfortunately, there would be days when I would just come home from school and cry. To quote another one of her songs, “why do you have to be so mean?” It is for this reason that I also loved a lot of Taylor Swift’s girl-power anthems, songs like “Mean,” “I Knew You Were Trouble,” “Fifteen,” and “Shake it Off,” just to name a few. When I was really little, I also remember having fake fantasy heartbreaks while jamming out to songs like “Love Story” and “Teardrops on My Guitar.” Little did I know how powerful songs like these would become as I grew older!

In conclusion, I am certain that we are in the era of Taylor Swift. I am so excited to keep reliving memories from her musical catalog as she re-records new albums through 2022 and have these songs become hers (and ours) again. As a die-hard Swiftie, I have never been prouder to say that I am “happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time!”

Love you Taylor! Forever and always <3

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Julia Duprey

U Mass Amherst '23

Hi! My name is Julia Nicholas Duprey! I am originally from Leyden, MA, a small town on the MA-VT border. I am currently a Journalism major and I am a community college transfer student. I am interested in many different things such as women's, political, and disability advocacy, fashion, makeup, spending time with my animals (I love both cats and dogs!), and my family. I also love watching television and movies and reading. I aspire to be a personality on radio and or television. I am also the president of The College Diabetes Network UMass Amherst Chapter! My socials are: https://www.instagram.com/julianicholasduprey/ https://www.instagram.com/jndphotostudio/ https://vsco.co/julianicholasduprey/gallery