Why Having An Older Brother is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’ve always thought that one of my greatest gifts was being granted an older brother. I was never jealous of my friends with younger siblings or sisters, because I have always looked up to my brother so much (I may regret admitting this later). Here are just a few reasons why having an older brother is absolutely the best

They will make fun of your parents with you

One of my favorite things to do is harass my parents (I know, I need a life), and there’s nothing like having my brother join in on the fun.

They will bring you in for show-and-tell when they are in 2nd grade and you are an infant because they think you are so damn cool:

Well, maybe not every brother will do this but mine did… seriously… 

They always offer their honest opinion… even if it’s a little too honest:

I always appreciate my brother’s honesty (although I sometimes cry from it).

They have hot friends:

Did I really just admit that?…

They show you the best music and movies:

I swear the reason why I can rap to old-school Kanye or quote Remember the Titans word-for-word is because my brother introduced me to those things at a young age.

They attempt to toughen you up when you’re younger

I probably still have some bruises, to be honest.

They will force you to get out of your comfort zone:

For example, he will make you play a Texas Hold ’em tournament with his friends when you are 12.

They tell you which guys are worth your time and which to forget: 

This is always priceless information, ladies.

They are extremely protective:

You never have to question if they will go to bat for you, because they will make it KNOWN.

They will always be there for you:

Even when friends fade, brothers will always be there for you.

Love you to pieces, Chris!

Rachel Annese

U Mass Amherst

A junior at UMass Amherst who enjoys all things Beyonce, singing in the shower, and spending endless nights watching The Office.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst