Why Donald Glover Will be Your Celebrity Crush for 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Quick, ask your girlfriends what traits they love in a man. Funny, genuine, creative, passionate, attractive, witty, honest, committed all seem to appear in one way or another. At a glance, it sounds overwhelming but in reality, there’s definitely one man with all these traits and more.

It’s Donald Glover. Or Childish Gambino, if you know him from his music, like me. Born in California, he grew up in Atlanta, Georgia studying drama and play writing in high school. At NYU, he studied dramatic writing and before he graduated he was offered the job to write for Tina Fey’s super successful comedy, 30 Rock. He’s a funny man, every girl’s dream. From there, Glover moved on to NBC’s comedy Community as the lovable Troy. 

So let’s recap… 1) When you’re emotional he’ll feel your pain.

2) When you need to laugh, you can be the Abed to his Troy.

3) He’s deep and sensitive to his emotions and he’ll be honest with you like he is on Instagram.

4) He’s a creative type, as a comedian and rapper he’s also incredibly witty plus let’s not forget when Spiderman was almost Donald Glover…

5) His music is catchy and he’s penned popular songs like “Heartbeat” and “3005” and he understands how complicated relationships can be: “All the things that we thought we were losing/ I’m a ghost and you know this/ That’s why we broke up in the first place.” 

6) He’s into social media and expresses his enjoyment in the simple things… like live tweeting watching two people hook up in a bank kiosk to the Twitterverse

So Collegiettes, if you can find something wrong with this lovely man, sound off so I can prove all of you wrong. I mean, look at those eyes, they’re staring into my soul. 

Donald Glover, you will always be my #mancrushmonday.

Elena Lopez

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst