Style > Beauty

When You Want to Smell Good But You Don’t Know Where to Start: A List of Perfume Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We have all experienced, at least once, that moment when someone walks by you and you just can’t help but notice how amazing they smell. It makes you realize that you too want to smell that good as you walk to class or meet up with friends. Scent is such a fun category that allows us to portray ourselves through the sense of smell. Over the past year I have become a bit of a perfume junkie and throughout this process, I was able to create a staple list of scents for whatever you occasion you are heading to.

MIX: BAR Cloud Musk Hair & Body Mist

This first one is my personal favorite scent ever. It is the perfect bottle to grab on your next Target trip and use as an everyday spray. When I find myself having to run somewhere real quick and do not want to use too much of my more expensive perfumes I douse myself in this one! The scent is phenomenal and this brand promotes mixing their scents together to create your own custom scent. So if you see another scent that looks appealing while you are buying cloud musk, grab that one too and create a signature scent.

Victoria’s Secret Bare Perfume

I have never gotten as many compliments as I do with this perfume. Typically I am not a fan of Victoria’s Secret’s fragrance selection. This one, however, is an exception to that feeling. It is more of a medium priced perfume in comparison to the much more expensive ones. In my opinion, the price can be justified due to the perfume’s longevity. There were nights I would spray it on me and still smell it the next morning. This is a quality typically only higher-end perfumes have.

Philosophy Pure grace

For a while, I was personally opposed to the category of “clean” scents. To me, they always smelt like some variation of dryer sheets or linens, which isn’t inherently bad, but it was never something I preferred. One day in Ulta (it always starts in Ulta) I was looking for a travel-size perfume I could bring to the gym. Initially, this scent had a bit of an alcohol scent. A minute or two later it was such a beautiful smell. It is a bit of a splurge, similar to the previous perfume, but this clean scent is one of a kind in my book. Instead of being an “after the gym” scent it became part of my everyday perfume combination.

Dior J’Adore Parfum d’eau

Yes, Dior. The price of this one took a long time for me to justify its purchase. My initial attraction to it was the beautiful bottle. Then when I tested it in stores, I fell in love. It has a distinct smell, It is clean and fresh but also pretty, and even sexy. This scent is the perfect balance for an everyday smell. I use this one along with the Pure Grace one I listed above as my everyday mix.

Gucci flora gorgeous gardenia eau de parfum

My final recommendation is a personal favorite amongst my collection. One day, after a long perfume exploration in Ulta, I went home with this perfume sprayed on my wrist. I quickly became obsessed and regretted not buying it. Again, the price is crazy but I feel like everyone deserves at least one high-end scent in their life, especially if it is something that interests them. This scent is so unique and I adore it. It is very florally and will last you a long time. A little goes a long way.

I have found perfume to be an amazing form of expression. There are so many options to choose from and you can easily find or create a signature scent that you will look forward to spraying every morning!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Kaitlyn Soper

U Mass Amherst '25

Kaitlyn is a sophomore at UMass Amherst. Her major is political science. She loves music, film, and dance.