This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re a teen or young adult, you’ve probably ordered from Shein. If not, Shein is an extremely cheap website that you can order clothes from at great prices. But, there’s a catch: what you order doesn’t always line up with what’s shown in the picture. In this article, I will bring forward some of the items to keep away from when ordering from Shein.

1. White shirts 

First things first, white shirts. White shirts can be very cute and go with anything, but you risk it being see-through when ordering online. This tends to be the case with the white shirts Shein sells. I have personally ordered a lot of white shirts from Shein on the off chance that they’ll actually look cute, but when I get them in the mail, I’m always disappointed. These shirts aren’t just see-through though, they are so see-through you couldn’t even cover it up by throwing a bra under it. Nothing more disappointing than trying on a shirt you paid for and feeling naked looking at it on yourself. 

Photo by Kelli McClintock on Unsplash

2. Necklaces 

Who doesn’t love cheap necklaces that you don’t care if you lose or break? This is the perfect type of jewelry for a night out with friends. But there is a difference between wearing it a few times and it breaking versus it breaking as it comes right out of the packaging. I have bought a lot of jewelry from Shein and although most last for a few nights out, there have been a few pieces that I never got to wear. I remember times in which I was excited to wear a new necklace and it breaking upon me trying to clasp it around my neck. I was devastated because there was no way I was gonna wanna pay to get it fixed as that defeated the purpose of me paying so little on the website. I definitely suggest that you check the reviews before you decide to purchase any jewelry from Shein. 

Home Depot

3. Jeans 

No one wants to pay $40-100 on jeans. I mean… who has that type of money? Shein offers jeans for around $20-25. These prices are extremely low and are always following the newest trends. Unfortunately, this comes with a few risks. Sometimes, well oftentimes actually, their sizes don’t line up with what you are used to at other shops. Not being able to go in-store and try them on (or even just look at them) makes it a little difficult to guage what size fits you. Also, the material is sometimes tighter and more stiff then the ones you can get at the store which makes them hard to move in. If you do end up buying jeans from Shein, I suggest that you buy them just for fun festivities and celebrations. But don’t make Shein the main place you go as these are less “everyday wear” jeans.

jeans
Nordstrom

Overall, I think that Shein is a great online place to purchase cheap “going out” shirts that you wouldn’t wear for too long. But when it comes to everyday wear, I would stick to other more trustworthy shops (which are still relatively cheap) like Marshalls or Forever 21. The main concern when it comes to Shein is that you have to check all the reviews and look at the review pictures. This will let you get a more accurate idea of the quality of the clothing and whether or not you should buy it. 

Happy shopping!

Sydney Dion

U Mass Amherst '23

Communication Disorders Major
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst