What I’ve Learned in Two Months of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For years before coming to college, I had so many expectations. Some of them were right, and for others, the complete opposite occurred. Even though it’s only been a bit over two months, I feel like I’ve learned so many things. These months have definitely been the best, and strangest, times of my life. You’ll probably experience some of these things at least once in your college career. 

1. The first weekend does not represent the entire year.

On my first weekend, I was horrified by the loud dorm hallways and amount of people I didn’t feel similar to. There were frantic calls to my parents and friends back home where I questioned my choice in college. But just after a week or so, I got to know the people I once questioned and could easily do an essay without being bothered by noise.

2. Classes are not as overwhelming as they say in high school.

In high school, it felt as though every teacher made it known that college was difficult, and that the workload can be overwhelming. So far, I’ve felt that it’s been pretty easy to balance my time between school and a social life. There is so much time in the day that boredom often results in doing an assignment that isn’t due for weeks.

3. Food is the enemy, but also your best friend.

On a college campus, there’s bound to be plenty of choices for food. It’s common to waste dining dollars just in your first week of school on cafes and food trucks, but be warned: the freshman 15 is real. Eating in the all-you-can-eat dining commons can even cause it. But, besides the negative side of college food, there’s a good chance you’ll be eating some of the best stuff you’ve ever had.

4. It’s okay to be intimidated by your major.

If you only picked your major based on an interest and not from experience you’ve had with it, going to classes that have to do with it can be super intimidating. The solution is to just give it a chance. Talk to professors, advisors, and even fellow students in the major. They’ll be happy to give you advice and steer you in the right direction.

5. You’ll have conversations that you never have had before (things get deep).

This is especially true with the people you live with. You’ll spend so much time with them that you’ll become comfortable with them fast. It’s very possible that you’ll find yourself in your dorm with your new bestie on a Tuesday night talking about some of the most random topics.

6. Your home friends can still be your best friends.

During the days before I moved in to college, I felt that I had to have meaningful goodbyes with all of my friends from home because I was positive that they’d forget about me. Luckily, I get texts from my friends all the time and even have met up with a few. Just because they don’t go to the same school as you anymore doesn’t mean that you can’t have the same relationship.

7. Never try to please anyone: be yourself.

When you’re trying to make friends, it’s easy to try to change yourself to please people who may not be like you. Always remember to be yourself, because when you do so, you’ll find people you actually like being with. These are the real people you want to be friends with. Don’t worry if you feel like everyone is making best friends already. You have four years to do it, and you never know who you’ll meet at any time!

Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Lauren Crociati

U Mass Amherst

Journalism major, alternative music enthusiast, lover of life, lover of food. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst