Life > Experiences

What I Learned About Myself in a Big, Busy, and Buzzing D.C. City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This past summer, I was fortunate enough to intern with the SBS (Social and Behavioral Sciences) in D.C. program here at UMass. After being home from finals for around three weeks, I took my many packed bags over to the hot and humid D.C. air. I entered the summer not knowing what to expect or how much I would grow as a person. I can safely say that the internal growth that happened in the span of almost 11 weeks occurred quickly. Here are the many things I learned about myself while interning in D.C.

The beauty of cooking for myself and with others 

I found cooking meals one of the most rewarding tasks I have completed this summer. Before my internship, I was heavily reliant on the meals provided by our dining halls and home-cooked meals. While it was fun, and challenging at times to come up with meals, I found the most joy in cooking with other people. Food is a way for people to showcase their culture, which was heavily present this summer. From fried plantains, vegetable fried rice, pasta, and all the way to biryani, I was brought closer together with my peers through our love for food. It was also a way for me to learn more about other people’s stories, especially with the food we were creating. 

The Nature of Civil Discourse

Each and every day I was conversing with people of different political backgrounds. For many different reasons, people shy away from interacting with those of different political ideologies. I learned the importance of listening to others, even if you do not agree. This summer, I discovered basic and essential commonalities between people who had different ideologies than mine — we all wanted to make the world a better place. While this means different things for different people, I made every effort to try to understand where other people were coming from. 

The importance of getting out of your comfort zone 

If there is one thing that I love, it is knowing what I am doing. I realize now that going to D.C. was a big step out of my comfort zone. While I have already developed my routine at home and at UMass, entering D.C. was a completely new slate. Entering the summer, I had the chance to establish my own routines and get out of my comfort zone by trying new things. For example, I figured out for myself that oat milk lattes are the best creation in the world. If I had leaned into my comfort zone throughout the summer, I would have never known that I enjoyed oat milk lattes. Every time you step into a new place, whether that be for a couple of hours or an entire summer, you are simultaneously expanding yourself. 

My experience in D.C. demonstrated the importance of emerging yourself into a new setting, whether that be college, a new job, or even hanging out with different people. Once you are able to find comfort in discomfort, your life changes. I am grateful everyday for my experience this past summer.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Niajah Hyppolite

U Mass Amherst '23

Niajah Hyppolite is currently a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Political Science. During her free time she enjoys watching comedies and spending time with her loved ones. She loves reading memoirs and always has a caffeinated beverage in her hand at all times. This is her fifth semester with HerCampus and she is very excited to write!