This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Today, I would like to talk about the METCO program, which stands for the Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity. The METCO program is a voluntary bussing program for inner-city students. Ever since I was five years old, I have been a part of this program for school. 

Every morning, I would wake up at five and start my day for school (I know, early, right?!). Although you may think it’s weird that I am talking about high school as a college student, here are some things that I have learned from my experience in the program.

public transportation
Photo by Ashley Light from Unsplash

1. I have to work five times harder than everyone else. 

All good things come with hard work, but as a Black student, this is my everyday reality. As a Black student in a predominantly white school, everyone sees my race before they see who I am as a person. This meant studying past midnight for my exams, studying on my way to the bus stop, on the bus, and so forth. 

2. It is okay to make mistakes.

Attending a white school meant being one of the only students of color in the classroom. If I ever made a mistake, I was always nervous about fitting into people’s stereotypes that Black students are not smart enough. I realized along the way that it is normal to make mistakes and that we all learn from them. 

3. Sleep.

Throughout middle and high school, I never slept. A good night’s worth of sleep for me was five hours. Being sleep-deprived is not fun in any way. I learned about the importance of rest through this program by never getting it myself. Not only did I learn how important sleep is, but I also learned how important it is to take care of myself. How can I do well if I do not feel my best?! This means getting sleep, drinking water, trying to exercise, and taking breaks. 

4. I do not represent the entire Black community.

Being a part of a predominantly white school means people asking about your experiences constantly. Although it is important for everyone to educate themselves on certain issues, I do not hold all of the answers. I do not represent the entire Black community. It is also important to note that it can be uncomfortable to bring up racial issues to someone that I am not comfortable with. 

Overall, being a part of the METCO program is something that is very special to me. Not only did I receive a wonderful education, but I created close friendships and bonds that will last forever. 

five women laughing
Photo by nappy from Pexels

Niajah Hyppolite

U Mass Amherst '23

Niajah Hyppolite is currently a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Political Science. During her free time she enjoys watching comedies and spending time with her loved ones. She loves reading memoirs and always has a caffeinated beverage in her hand at all times. This is her fifth semester with HerCampus and she is very excited to write!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst