This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I really hope the saying “April showers bring May flowers” is accurate, because the amount of rain we have gotten in Amherst lately has been astounding! It feels like every time I look outside, the sky is cloudy and there are puddles on the ground. The weather forecast for the next week is not promising either.

Despite the negative reputation that rainy days have, rainy days at UMass happen to be some of my favorites. I think the atmosphere of a rainy day is particularly calming, especially when finals season is just around the corner.

So instead of looking outside all day and wishing for better weather, I have compiled a list of some of my favorite rainy-day activities that you will hopefully enjoy just as much as I do.

Reading a book

Now I know this seems silly, especially since I feel like reading a book on a rainy day is one of the most suggested activities on the internet, but I never have time to read for fun anymore. A rainy day, when activities outside are not that appealing of an option, serves as the perfect opportunity to revisit that book you brought to school that you were telling yourself you would definitely read before the semester ended. Even if you don’t read the book in its entirety, at least you made some progress!

Movie Marathon (bonus points for including roommates/friends!)

One of my favorite things to do with my roommates and friends is binge a TV series or have a small movie marathon. Recently, we have been watching the Netflix series, Love is Blind. This might be just me, but a rainy or chilly day seems like the best time to wrap myself up in a blanket, find some snacks, and watch a hilarious show or movie with some friends! As a bonus, this might give you the opportunity to bond with your roommates if you haven’t had the chance to.

Getting in a quick workout at the recreation center!

The last thing I want to do on a rainy day is get up and leave the comfort of my home, but after sitting around all day inside, nothing feels nicer than finding a way to get my body moving. On a regular day, I am already so proud of myself for finding time to work out, but I am especially proud of myself when I do so on a day that is so conducive to staying inside!

I am a firm believer in appreciating the dreary weather as much as we appreciate the perfectly sunny days and warm temperatures. They are a reminder of the wonderful things that our planet can do and remind us that we need to enjoy our time outdoors! Rain inevitably leads to the growth of plants and the overall beautification of the planet. Hopefully, the next time it rains (which I am sure will be soon), you will be able to appreciate the wonders of Earth and find a great way to spend your day. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Lucie Daignault

U Mass Amherst '23

Lucie is a fifth-semester member at HerCampus and a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Lucie is the vice president of the criminology club, a small group leader with CHAARG, and a volunteer with MASSPIRG. She loves writing and is excited to share her ideas and learn from her peers!