alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What the Emojis We Use Really Mean: As Told By Gifs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Emojis are a integral part of how some Collegiettes communicate nowadays. Your best friend may send you a “heart-eyes” emoji, letting you know how adorable your new outfit is, or your crush send you a smirk to be a little flirty. However, sometimes it’s not that easy to tell what a certain emoji is supposed to mean. So here’s a breakdown of what emojis really mean as told by gifs.

When someone hits you with this running emoji, they really mean:

When someone sends you the monkey covering its mouth:

When your joke is on point and someone sends you a laughing emoji…

There’s also a cheeky, blushing emoji you can send someone when they give you a cute compliment:

When your friend has planned an eventful weekend for you guys, she’ll send you this:

Here’s one for when you say something embarrassing that you wish you could take back:

And for when you’re in a groovy mood and you want everyone to know, you have to use this one:

There’s also one for when you’re sad because your significant other didn’t text back:

There’s also one for when the dining hall runs out of Mac & Cheese right before you get in line…

When you fail an exam you really thought you did well on, this emoji sums up that feeling pretty well:

You can use the awkward moon emoji with close friends:

Your roommate will probably send you this emoji if you lock her out by accident:

Here’s one for when your friend finally cracks a funny joke and you’re proud, you can send them this one:

Here’s an emoji for when you read something that you feel deep down in your soul:

Here’s one for when you say something sassy and need to make your point:

When your friend or significant other takes a good selfie, you can show your appreciation through one of these emojis:

When your best friend is feeling emotional and sends you lots of hearts, they basically mean…

Here’s one for when you’re killing an exam and deserve some validation:

This one works for when you’re acting a bit high maintenance and have no shame about it:

Your friend might send you this emoji to express her happiness that you guys are so similar:

Finally, my personal favorite, the smirk that says it all:

May you use your emojis wisely and plentifully. Happy communicating, millennial Collegiettes!

Kelly Capri

U Mass Amherst

I'm now a senior at UMass Amherst & started Her Campus my freshman year. I had just transferred from Clemson University in South Carolina and it allowed me to find friends immediately. HC also helped open myself up to a passion of mine - journalism and writing. Additionally, Her Campus helped me meet people who inspired me to get more involved on campus - which is why I joined Greek life as well as got a job for student activities and involvement. As sappy as it is, HC has changed my college experience in so many ways. Besides HC, I am a double major in journalism and biology, and work as a tour guide and for Student Activities & Involvement. I am the VP of Alumnae Relations of Sigma Kappa Beta Eta, involvement in a number of other organizations, and I love mozzarella sticks and Nutella (but not together!)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst