This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The UGG boot or other brands of sheep skin boots have been in stores for years now, and have remained in style and in trend over that time. Even football player Tom Brady of our lovely New England Patriots is sponsored by the UGG brand and rocks his boots on the reg! These boots seem to be us girls go-to everyday comfy fall shoe, but (as we can all agree) the look of UGGs and how we wear them can go from good to bad VERY QUICKLY. With the leaves changing and the fall weather fast approaching, here are some dos, don’ts, and tips to keep in mind as the weather gets colder.

DON’T wear UGGs with shorts or mini-skirts! There’s a reason UGGs are filled with fur, they’re supposed to be worn in colder weather to keep your feet warm. The UGG Australia brand claims that the shoe is designed to also be worn in summer; however, the trend of UGGs in our fashion world is usually reserved for fall and winter when most people wouldn’t be wearing any sort of short pants or skirts. You look silly wearing a winter shoe with a summer outfit! Rule of Thumb: If it’s too hot to be wearing jeans or leggings, it’s not an appropriate time to be wearing UGGs or other fur boots.

DO wear your UGG boots with trendy leggings or jeans. You can either tuck your pants into your boots, the best jeans being skinny jeans, or wear your pants over your UGGs IF the UGGs are a shorter style and your pants have a bit of flare in them. Pair it with a loose long sleeved top, jean jacket or cozy sweater and a scarf and you’ve got yourself an appropriate UGG look!

DON’T wear your UGGs with “going out” clothes or to other dressy occasions. Despite what you see people in advertisements or celebrities doing, UGGs and other sheep skin boots are a casual shoe and are not considered dressy (even if they are black or you’re wearing them with tights!).

DO wear your UGGs casually, as described above or even with sweats on your way to the library, to your friend’s dorm room, or running errands in Amherst center.

DON’T wear your UGGs in bad weather. If it’s raining, you should just assume that it’s going to be muddy and wet and that IS NOT the type of weather you should be wearing UGGs in. Same goes for wearing your boots in the snow. Yes, UGGs are a fall and winter shoe; however they are not snow boots. UGGs become easily ruined when wet and their color changes. Also, don’t wear overly worn UGGs. If your heel is hanging off the side of the actual sole of the shoe or there are several holes in the front of your boot, it’s either time to stop wearing them or invest in a new pair.

Since you can’t always prepare for inclement weather, DO protect your UGGs and sheepskin boots. Either with a spray or conditioner, waterproof and prevent dirt from building up on your expensive and tricky to clean boots! Here’s a link to a video to show you how to both treat and clean your boots.

A few more tips to keep your boots and your look in tip top shape…

• Wearing boots around food that’s being cooked makes them absorb the smell. Sometimes this is only temporary, but UGGs are a high maintenance boot. It’s best to just keep them out of the kitchen (it’s also possible that something may spill on them!).
  • Dark colored UGGs are dyed and sometimes their color can rub off on your clothes.
  • Wear socks! Your foot sweat ruins the fur inside the UGG and can make them smell. Wearing socks prevents that as well as slows down the wearing of the fur inside.
  • When storing your boots in the summer (if you go by the rules on this list), stuff the shafts of the boots to prevent shape loss or sagging. Also put some baking powder in the bottom to take out some of the smell your boots might have.

Good luck, collegiettes™!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst