We DO Talk About Bruno: Why I Will Never Stop Raving About Disney’s Encanto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I firmly believe that Disney movies are food for the soul. You could literally put on any Disney flick in existence and I’d be a happy camper. But every once in a while, everyone’s favorite studio will create a story so unique and touching that it leaves me pondering and reflecting long after the credits roll. Encanto was one of those stories. If you still haven’t seen it yet, I actually demand that you close this page and fire up Disney+ right now. The animation? Flawless. The soundtrack? *chef’s kiss* The characters? I’m obsessed. But this film is SO much more than a colorful and entertaining tale for children. It is an extremely meaningful piece of art that tells a powerful story about family dynamics and expectations; one that reaches children and adults alike. We may not talk about Bruno, but I will never stop talking about this movie and its beautiful message about finding your place and discovering your worth.

Encanto has all the touchstones of a classic fairytale: magic powers, enchanted candles, an anthropomorphic house (you know, the usual). But, the more I’ve thought about the movie, the more I have realized that it’s probably one of the most realistic fairy tales I’ve ever seen. The realism comes from Encanto’s delightful assortment of loveable characters. Whether it be Luisa and her super strength, or Camilo and his shapeshifting, everybody has a favorite Madrigal. More importantly, though, I believe that every viewer can see a piece of themselves in these characters. That is where the true beauty of the film is revealed: the movie explores these characters’ relationships to their family members and to their world, while prompting its audience to do the same.

The main plot of Encanto encourages viewers to look inward: what are you known for? Are you the strong one? The good listener? The golden child? What gift do you bring to the table? What if you don’t bring any gift at all? If you don’t have a gift, where do you fit? And as you ponder (and, if you’re me, have a bit of an existential crisis), the film stops you in its tracks with its glistening moral: it does not matter. It doesn’t matter what you bring to the table. It doesn’t matter what special gift you have, or whether you have one at all. It only matters that you come to the table, exactly as you are. Your worth is not measured by what you can do, or what you can contribute. You are a valid member of your family just by being in the family. Abuela loses sight of this idea, and the family suffers as a result. Each magical character is powerful and can contribute to the community using their power, but having a gift actually confines them to a single role. It is only Mirabel, who does not have a power and therefore is not confined to a specific role, that can save the family’s magic. In the end, the enchantment of the Madrigal family was less about magic, and more about the individuals behind the powers. Once Abuela realizes this and drops her expectations for perfection, the family becomes stronger than ever. They embrace each other for who they are, not for what they can do.

I’ve talked to so many people about Encanto, and a frequent comment I’ve heard has been, “Right, but why doesn’t Mirabel get a magical power at the end of the movie?” I understand why this might seem like a satisfying direction, but I believe that it would completely undermine the main point of the story. Mirabel does not need a magical gift to be special. In fact, she saved the enchantment of her family without any powers at all. Mirabel had set out to prove her worth to her Abuela and her family, but in the process, she discovered that she never had anything to prove at all. What you are able to do should never dictate how much you are loved and valued by your family. You should be allowed to stumble, show vulnerability, make mistakes, and grow a few cacti every once in a while. Encanto reminds us all that we are enough, exactly as we are. It’s a loving hug for your inner child, sprinkled with songs by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Really, what more could you ask for?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hanna Jane Kilduff

U Mass Amherst '24

When Hanna Jane isn't writing for Her Campus, you'll find her wandering aimlessly through thrift stores, listening to her color-coded playlists, or curled up under a blanket with her cat.