Venturing Into the Outdoors as a Woman: Solo Hiking Safety Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re like me, you often find yourself wanting to immerse your body and mind in the beauty of the outdoors. You crave the feeling of accomplishment when you climb up a mountain and are refreshed by the view of the world below you. This feeling is one I desire very often, but it’s not always that easy to find friends to go with you. Overcoming the fear of hiking alone in the wilderness was (and sometimes still is) one I struggled with for WAY too long.

These five tips are ones that I have used to make myself feel more comfortable being alone in the woods, and I’m certain they can help boost your confidence too!

SHARE YOUR LOCATION

Before you even leave your house to drive to your hiking location, share your location with someone you know will be able to check in to see that you’re okay. Text them when you get to the parking lot, send them pictures along the way if you have service, and when you get back to your car and are about to leave let them know! Keeping in touch and knowing that someone knows where you are will help ease your mind, and the pictures are just an added bonus for you to look back at later.

girl scrolling phone high waisted jeans watch curly hair cactus
Kellyn Simpkins / Her Campus

BRING a form of SElf defense

I personally like to carry pepper spray, but even a little pocket knife can work too, as long as you know how to use it. As self explanatory as it sounds, make sure you know how to spray the pepper spray before going out. In case of an emergency, the last thing you need is to be trying to figure out how to initiate the spray. Even hiking with a pole or a stick is a good idea! Having multiple forms of protection is just another way to make you feel more comfortable.

LOOK CONFIDENT

The higher you carry your head and the more you walk like you’re on a mission for those good views, the more you look like you belong in those woods! It’s very easy to sense when someone is uncomfortable, so making yourself seem like you know what you’re doing (even if you don’t) will show people not to mess with you. Even if you are nervous being in the woods by yourself, making yourself look confident can even help you feel that way.

girl smile happy colorado travel mountains hiking trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

bring a pet (if you’re able to)

Dogs are probably the best pet to bring because of their stamina and ability to hike over rocks with you, but if you’re like me and have a hiking cat, that works just as well! Pets do such a great job of soothing our nerves and helping us feel protected, so why not bring them? It gives them some exercise, and gives us an added layer of protection and comfortability. A dog’s bark can also be heard from a far distance away, so in case of danger they are an extra warning sign.

Don’t get too into your head

For too long, I have not been confident in my abilities to defend myself and think intelligently, but as long as you take precautions, you shouldn’t let anything stop you from doing what you love. The moment we let our fears take over is the moment we stop living.

Stay safe, stay smart, and stay adventurous. Happy hiking!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Megan Hawkins

U Mass Amherst '24

Meg is a sophomore at UMass Amherst and is a Psychology Neuroscience and Chemistry double major! She loves everything about the outdoors, but hiking/backpacking and biking are her favorites. She plays tennis and loves to bake cupcakes, and her perfect day would consist of going on walks with her cat, Kal.