Unpopular Opinion: Game of Thrones isn’t appealing (anyone can relate?)

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

By now, I am probably one of the few people that is not a fan of Game of Thrones. It’s an extremely unpopular opinion that no one likes to hear, especially now that the final season is coming out. Here are some reasons why.

It is nearly exhausting to watch.

Game of Thrones is a very slow-paced show that it is difficult to get into. Right off the bat, they throw in a bunch of characters in the middle of a conflict. On top of that, they don’t give any type of context! Everyone says to just wait it out and “you’ll understand eventually.” Personally, I have watched a grand total of 5 episodes (even watching the first episode multiple times to see if I missed anything) and I’m still confused. Just the way the story is told — convoluted and complicated. One girl even told me that she had to watch the ENTIRE SEASON ONE until things got interesting. I wouldn’t want to waste my time watching so many episodes, being clueless the entire time and not even knowing if the plot gets good later on. There are so many better, more meaningful shows to get into like Breaking Bad or Orange is the New Black.

They use violence, nudity and sex just for the sake of it.

Some people, believe it or not, are not into swords, shields and fantasy. It is not far-fetched, therefore, to think that the show uses violence and other extreme graphics to entice more people into watching it. It glorifies rape, as shown in the very first episode of season 1, where Khaleesi (supposedly a thirteen-year-old) is raped by Drogo on their wedding night. There are far too many unnecessary and cringe-worthy nude scenes as well. It seems as if it was just put in the show for shock value.

Unimpressive plots.

There are entire episodes where nothing of importance happens and the audience is left to figure out what to make of it. I also don’t see why a show has to involve millions of characters that you can never keep track of. But even then many of the important characters die anyway (surprise!) Frankly, I think the whole concept of the show is bland and unoriginal. If you want a better fantasy show to watch, you’re better off getting into Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.

The rabid fans.

Sure, some people can argue that every TV show, movie and band has its own crazy fans. But for Game of Thrones, the whole culture that surrounds it is exclusive and toxic. I even overheard one guy say that “only smart people can understand Game of Thrones” — Really? I don’t mind if you actually enjoy the show, just please, don’t shove your unwanted opinion onto me.

As I said earlier, by now, I am probably one of the few people that is not a fan of Game of Thrones. And I would like to keep it that way.

Images: 1, 2

Sources: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2016/05/111715/i-hate-game-of-thrones

http://thelma.com/2015/05/20/unpopular-opinion-hbos-game-of-thrones-is-bad/

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst