UMass Twitter Accounts That Deserve A Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
As far as social media goes, Twitter has become one of the most popular social networks (remember when Myspace existed?). Tweeting, retweeting, and favoriting are not only ways to entertain yourself but to keep up with what’s going on with your friends, and those random people that you find yourself following but you don’t know why (we all have them). Here are some of the best UMass Twitter accounts: whether they’re funny, or important for campus ongoing activities, tapping the follow button would not be a mistake.

This first account is the official Twitter of the University. With 19K followers, this account updates students on anything and everything UMass. Pictures of the basketball game crowds, links to articles published about UMass, and updates about snow days and classes, this Twitter account is one of the most informative ones to follow.

UMass Crushes @UMassCrushes

Have you ever seen a random person on campus and thought they were attractive? Or sat behind someone in class and developed a secret crush? If so, this is the Twitter account for you. Anonymous students will send in their crush confessions about the people around them, and this account will post it for the world to see. While looking to see if you were tweeted about can be discouraging (does anybody have a secret crush on me?!) it’s very fun to try and find people you know on this account.

Mullins Center @MullinsCenter

While this account does not have the most amount of followers, it is extremely helpful to learn about events going on at the Mullins Center. The tweets give info on the basketball game tickets (whether they are sold out or not) as well as the other concerts and events that the Mullins Center will host. Keeping updated with campus events during our busy week schedules can be extremely difficult, so getting these updates sent straight to our Twitter feeds is a big plus.

UMass Athletics @UMassAthletics

If you enjoy campus sports, this is a perfect Twitter account to follow. Not only does this official account of school athletics live tweet about sporting events, but it even posts pictures of the sporting teams around school. Essentially, if you are interested in anything athletic and like to keep up with UMass teams, follow this account.

UMass Campus Rec @UMass_CampusRec

This account is highly underrated and even though it doesn’t have a lot of followers, it’s extremely useful for students who love the Rec Center. If there are any new additions to the fitness class schedule, they will tweet it. This account is also encouraging about going to the gym and posting motivational tweets to start everybody’s day off right. And have you ever gone to the gym on a holiday and found it to be closed? Not to fear – with this account, you’ll know if the gym is open or not.

UMass Dining @UMassDining

We already know that UMass has delicious food, but sometimes we miss special events at the dining halls (like serving specialty foods) because we don’t know about them until it’s too late! This account updates the students on days like this, as well as tweeting about free giveaways that they have.

UMass UPC @UMassUPC

UPC is the University Programming Council, which plans campus wide events like Late Night Movies and Spring Concert, for starters. Following their account will clue you in to the numerous events they host (for instance, the Super Bowl party). As I said before, events can be hard to know about, but UPC’s tweets will help spread the word about fun ways to spend your time.

HC UMass Amherst @HerCampusUMass

Last but not least, the Her Campus Twitter account. HC posts links to articles every day that pertain to campus life, and that’s a great way to stay tuned to what we publish on our website. If you enjoy reading Her Campus articles, I highly suggest you follow the account so you can pick and choose what you want to read.

Andrea Lee is a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Majoring in Communication, she is planning on pursuing interests in many different fields and taking different classes in order to find what she loves best. Andrea was an editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper, and has loved to write for her whole life. Coming from the small town of Walpole, Andrea was overwhelmed by the large university but has found it to be her new home and loves being on campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst