The UMass Sustainability Initiative Presents: No Impact Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ever wonder how much waste you put out by living your daily life? Do you feel like you’re super sustainable and you’re doing your best to keep your carbon footprint low? This week is just the time to find out whether or not you need to focus a little bit more on being sustainable, or if you’re Mother Earth herself.

From October 6-12, The UMass Sustainability Initiative is hosting an event called No Impact Week which mirrors the acts played out by Colin Beavan in his book, “No Impact Man.” For each day of the week, there is something different you can do in order to lower your carbon footprint and feel a little bit better about your way of living. Here’s the run down:

Sunday (10/6): Consumption. Try your best not to buy anything new today and for the rest of the week. Use what you have and keep that debit card nestled safely in your wallet for the entire week.

Monday (10/7): Trash. Do not buy anything that you have to throw into a trash bin. Compost is great and so is recycling. This includes the chip bags you get from Blue Wall and The Hatch. On this day, buy a banana or an apple so you’re limiting what you can’t recycle. Also, stop by the Eco-Rep table in the Campus Center to grab a baggie where you can put the trash that’s necessary (gum wrappers, chip bags, etc.). You’ll carry this baggie around with you all day to see just how much waste you’re putting out.

Tuesday (10/8): Transportation. Yes, this means you have to take the bus. Leave your car keys at home and hop onto one of our many, many PVTA buses that probably stop close to if not in front of your apartment or dorm. Here at UMass, we have mostly Hybrid-electric buses, and those aren’t emitting any fossil fuels. Go us!

Wednesday (10/9): Food. Try not to eat anything out of a 250 mile radius. Here at UMass, we are lucky that this is easier than it sounds. On the little signs above the food at dining halls that read how many calories are in the food, it will state whether that food is locally grown. Also, every Wednesday and Saturday, Amherst hosts farmer’s markets from local farms, and on Fridays there’s a student-run farmer’s market on the Gooddell lawn. UMass makes this day very easy for us, so consider yourself lucky!

Also, on campus you can eat at Earth Foods and People’s Market to ensure you’re in the safe zone on this day.

Thursday (10/10): Energy. On Thursday, go into the rooms in your apartment or look around your dorm room and assess what objects are taking up energy. Is there anything you can unplug? If so, do it. Anything that doesn’t have to be taking energy shouldn’t, it’s that easy!

Friday (10/11): Water. This one is easy, also. When you’re brushing your teeth, shut the water off in between, and don’t turn it on full blast. Also, if you have to shower that day, make it a five minute one. As far as drinking water, that is definitely not something you should be limiting.

Saturday (10/12): Give back. This is the day where you can redeem yourself if you had any mishaps or if you find yourself needing to drive your car. If you drive one day, take the bus another and pick up some trash you see on the ground. Keep an even balance so that you’re not just being unsustainable the entire time. Things you can do to give back are recycle, compost, shop at the farmer’s market, go volunteer at one of UMass’ permaculture gardens, and so much more.

For the duration of the week the Eco Reps, including Eco Rep Program Manager Jackie Hynes, will be tabling on the Campus Center concourse answering questions, handing out baggies and bumper stickers, and discussing exactly what is going on all week. 

For more information on how you can be more sustainable and keep your carbon footprint low, visit www.umass.edu/ecorep.

*Pictures by: Umass Sustainability

Samantha Walsh

U Mass Amherst

I am a rising senior journalism major, education minor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I've always enjoyed writing and journalism but my career goal is to become an elementary school teacher after I (hopefully) get my masters next year. I love hanging with my family, my puppy brother Charlie, and of course my friends. My friends and I can usually be seen at parties laughing uncontrollably, crying hysterically, and/or dancing like we're in a rap video. Sometimes all at once. It's a good time. My favorite past time is drinking iced coffee and I'm way too obsessed with my iPhone. I work full time in the summers at TPC Boston as a waitress and beverage cart girl. It's pretty ideal. Im super excited to start a life for myself outside of college but if you or anyone you know has a device to slow down time and make senior year last extra, extra long, please contact me. Xo
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst