Peregrine pamphlet
Peregrine pamphlet
Original photo by Katherine Santin

Two Boston Restaurants That Are Quarantine and Foodie Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With the winter months testing all of our sanity, a few restaurants in the Boston area have made considerable strides to bring good food to their customers safely. 

It does have to be said: blocking off parking spots for restaurants to sprawl into the streets this summer provided a much higher standard for dining in the city. Sipping on sangria in the middle of the comfort-laden streets of the South End watching the sun illuminate the townhouses, or sharing a charcuterie board on Newbury Street as the city comes alive has spoiled me beyond comparison and left me unprepared for this frigid winter. Luckily, with the combined efforts of my mother and I, we’ve found some gems that we love supporting! 

Peregrine pamphlet
Original photo by Katherine Santin

Peregrine, located in the Whitney Hotel on Charles Street, has been an absolute staple for my mother and I during the winter months. With a comfortable nook looking out on the shops on Beacon Hill and patio heaters, my mother has raved about settling in for the evening equipped with a blanket and her closest friends. While myself and my mother are committed to getting out of the house and seeing friends we haven’t seen in months, they also offer a comprehensive take out menu. In addition to the excellent food, they have drinks to-go for those of us 21 and above. Packaged in adorable Mason jars and special ice cubes for ambiance, it is plenty to keep the party going at home as well. For patio-dining, they also offer hot drinks guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out. 

Now for the food: Peregrine boasts their “South for the Winter” menu. Chef de Cuisine Matthew Bullock, who I’ve had the privilege of meeting, favors “Lowcountry” cooking for this season. The pamphlet provided by the restaurant outlines its historical background and key characteristics, all while building anticipation for Chef Matt’s latest creations. My go-tos on the menu are the Catalan tomato bread, “pimiento” cheese, and pasta pomodoro. My mother dies for the Peregrine burger and any of their salads. Lastly, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention their artistic and delicious cocktails, of which my favorite are the Negroni and Spritz. For the non-alcoholic selection, my mother raves about the sweet tea and lemonade. 

Peregrine pamphlet
Original photo by Katherine Santin

Similarly, there is another restaurant owned by the same company has revolutionized the food service industry. Along with the absolutely to die for menu that will make any foodie swoon, Juliet in Somerville added food-oriented virtual fun for their customers to enjoy. Recently, my mother and I participated in “A Mug-Full of Murder” mafia-esque Zoom call with a three course homemade meal kit. While you do need a working laptop, mobile device, and internet connection to participate, the kit came with homemade hot chocolate, french onion soup, handmade pasta, a little champagne, and dessert. I myself was cast as a mafia-boss Sal Serrano (who I enjoyed playing immensely) as we all conferred on Zoom to determine who the killer in the story was. This opportunity to meet new people, play games, and enjoy amazing food made my week. Supporting a local business while enjoying the fruits of their labor was extremely satisfying when all I seem to do is sit in isolation at my laptop these days. 

10/10 would recommend either restaurant to anyone near the Boston area looking for a foodie and quarantine friendly restaurant! 

Peregrine pamphlet
Original photo by Katherine Santin

Katherine Santin

U Mass Amherst '22

Katherine is a Senior majoring in Legal Studies and English with a minor in Arabic. She loves animals, and spend time with her dog and horse when she's at home. Some of her other interests include hiking, kayaking, and writing. Feel free to follow her instagram: @ughkatie
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst