True Crime Media: Helpful or Hurtful?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

True crime is a genre that has exploded in popularity over recent years, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic. According to an article by Justin Sayles in The Ringer, the number of true-crime documentary series has grown 63% between January 2018 and March 2021, highlighting the evolving obsession with the genre. From podcasts to Netflix shows to documentaries, there is definitely no shortage of true crime content for the interested consumer. 

True crime has been seen as an opportunity to expose the injustices in the American criminal justice system. It has also been seen as a method of teaching vulnerable populations how to protect themselves from threatening situations. Women, in particular, are avid consumers of true-crime media. A study published in 2018 shows that audiences who listen to true-crime podcasts are 73% female (versus their male counterparts) for three particular reasons: social interaction, escape, and voyeurism. For women especially, true-crime media can serve as a therapeutic justification for a fear of violence. 

But while the genre grows in popularity and content availability, so does its criticism. 

True-crime media has become a form of entertainment at the expense of real victims and their families. Because of the public nature of how these crimes are discussed, people who might not want their lives on display often do not have a choice. Similarly, the creation and adaptation of these crimes into popular media force the victims and their families to relive the trauma associated with the crime. This issue, in particular, has been brought to the spotlight with Netflix’s new show Dahmer, as a victim’s family member came forward in anger about not being contacted about the creation of the series. 

Additionally, crimes are sensationalized and producers can portray events in ways that may affect how they are interpreted. This can lead audiences to make improper assumptions about criminal suspects or the offense itself, especially when the crime has not yet been solved and investigators are still eliminating suspects. Furthermore, certain serial killers have had their crimes documented so many times in movies and TV shows that they have become almost glorified and turned into evil characters for the public to enjoy.  

Similarly, the true-crime stories that are spotlighted in mainstream media have the tendency to over-represent certain victim demographics and under-represent others, leading to an inaccurate understanding of communities most frequently victimized. This can lead to a distorted allocation of empathy in which we fail to empathize with populations most affected by crime. 

At the end of the day, it is normal to be curious about crime and the genre of true crime is not inherently good or bad. Despite this, it is also important to remember that true crime tells the stories of real people and might be skewed to portray a particular narrative. As such, research, accountability, and respect are necessary components of consuming the genre. 

True crime has the potential to be a vehicle of change in our society; however, audiences must be willing to be a part of that change in order for it to take effect.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Lucie Daignault

U Mass Amherst '23

Lucie is a fifth-semester member at HerCampus and a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Lucie is the vice president of the criminology club, a small group leader with CHAARG, and a volunteer with MASSPIRG. She loves writing and is excited to share her ideas and learn from her peers!