The Top 6 Upcoming Movies to See This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I don’t know about you, Collegiettes, but I am absolutely obsessed with movies – you name it, funny movies, sad movies, rom-coms, the more the better. With the spring and summer seasons hopefully approaching (cue the heavy sigh as we all look out the window at the never-ending piles of snow), one of the ultimate movie seasons is about to be upon us. Keeping that in mind, here is my personal list of the top movies that you might want to check out within the next few months!

1. Divergent

Premieres: Friday, March 21

Starring: Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet, Theo James

“Divergent,” based on the series written by Veronica Roth, follows the life of Tris (Shailene Woodley) who lives in a dystopian society where people are judged and divided. Tris discovers that she is “Divergent,” basically meaning that she will never fit in, which poses as a HUGE threat to leaders of the society. She has no choice but to run and join a group of Divergents, including Four (Theo James), who she develops a relationship with. With people like her by her side, Tris fights against society to defend her life.

The movie has received a lot of hype lately and is supposed to be a great movie. Let’s be real: it won’t be too hard to sit through with Theo James as the leading man. Shailene Woodley has come a long way from starring in “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” which should stay in the past, so hopefully she’s the right pick as Tris.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Premiere: Friday, April 4

Starring: Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson

I don’t know about you, but I love a good superhero story and Captain America is one of the best. Who doesn’t love Chris Evans in an American flag themed suit? The first “Captain America” was a pretty good flick but this one looks like it might be a little bit better.

As the Captain (Chris Evans) struggles to fit in with the new modern world he’s been thrust into, an old enemy pops up named the Winter Soldier, an agent from the Soviet Union. The Captain and the S.H.I.E.L.D. team, Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate, will have to try and stop the soldier before it’s too late. Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) seems to kick butt per usual and always proves that the girls can hang with the boys.

3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Premiere: Friday, May 2

Starring: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx

Once again, Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is struggling with his identity, playing both roles of a normal student and Spider-Man. It’s getting difficult for him to protect all of the people in New York while protecting his family at the same time. When Electro (Jamie Foxx) emerges, Parker has to work hard and fight a villain who is way stronger than he is. Eventually Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan) rolls around and Parker realizes that everyone is banding together under one name: OsCorp. What is Pet-, I mean Spider-Man, to do?

For starters I think we can all agree that the new Spider-Man franchise is ten times better than the first one starring Tobey Maguire. Andrew Garfield makes a far superior Spider-Man and Emma Stone is perfect as Gwen Stacy. “The Amazing Spider-Man” was funny, exciting and the visual effects were awesome. Watching the trailer above, it seems like we can expect the same thing.

4. The Fault in Our Stars

Premiere: Friday, June 6

Starring: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort

Based on the best selling book by John Green, “The Fault in Our Stars” looks like it’s going to be fantastic. The story details the life of a teenage girl named Hazel (Shailene Woodley), who is suffering from cancer. At a group therapy session, she meets a boy named Gus (Ansel Elgort) who has been in remission for a little while. The two start a whirlwind romance, despite the conditions that they face. Gus sees something in Hazel that she doesn’t see herself: her beauty. If that doesn’t make you feel all good inside then you might possibly be made of stone.

Woodley is on fire lately, scoring two leading roles for two expectedly huge movies. The book has been spreading around young adults and teenagers for quite some time now so it was only a matter of time before they made a movie. It seems like it’s going to be a great story and from here it looks like the casting is on point. The only downside is that we have to wait until June. 

5. Million Dollar Arm

Premiere: Friday, May 16

Starring: Jon Hamm, Lake Bell, Suraj Sharma

Disney’s behind this movie so you know it’s going to be a feel-good, happy-go-lucky kind of thing, which, after watching the trailer for “The Fault in Our Stars,” I’m totally okay with.

Jon Hamm is sports agent J.B. Bernstein who’s searching for an MLB player to draft in fear of losing his job and all of his money. He comes across the sport of cricket, realizing they pitch the ball as fast as the pros do in baseball. He and his partner travel all the way to India where they hold a contest to find three boys who can pitch fast enough. They bring them back to the United States and train them so that they will be able to be the first Indian baseball players drafted into the MLB.

Fun fact for you all: J.B. Bernstein is a 1990’s UMass alum and was here just the other day giving a presentation in the Student Union Ballroom. Go check out “Million Dollar Arm” and give a fellow Minuteman a shout out!

6. Maleficent

Premiere: Friday, May 30

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, Sharlto Colpey

“Maleficent” is a remake of the well-known tale, “Sleeping Beauty.” It tells the story of Princess Aurora and the spell put on her by the evil Maleficent (Jolie). When the princess pricks her finger on the spindle, she falls asleep, only to be awaken by true love’s kiss from her prince. Classic. Unlike other Disney movies, this one has a dark feel to it. It has an element of fear embedded and that’s what makes it so fantastic.

Can we all agree that Angelina Jolie looking absolutely fierce in the trailer only increases our desire to see this movie? She looks so cool. I’m not really sure how I feel about Elle Fanning as Princess Aurora, but maybe she’ll surprise me.

Get out there and see some movies, Collegiettes! Spring Break is coming, finals will soon be upon us, and then we’re out of here! Break all of it up by catching some good flicks.

Hi! I'm Katie and I'm a sophomore at UMass. I'm a Journalism and English major.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst