Top 5 Places On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being part of such a huge campus definitely has its perks, but it can be a little overwhelming! It’s hard to find time to explore when you’re busy trying to balance schoolwork and a social life. There are so many resources on campus that students don’t take advantage of because they don’t know that they exist! Here are the top 5 places on campus that every UMass student should know about. 

1. Career Services:Trying to figure out what career you want to pursue can be a little scary, but Career Services can help answer your questions! Located in 511 Goodell, Career Services offers a wide range of assistance for students including resume and cover letter crafting, mock interviews and internship workshops. If you’ve ever wondered what careers you could pursue with your chosen major, you can set up a meeting with one of their advisors to look into your options. For more information, check out their website: http://www.umass.edu/careers/
  2. Student Legal Services Office:Dealing with the law can be complicated and expensive. Luckily, we have the Student Legal Services Office! UMass SLSO offers free legal assistance to fee-paying UMass students and student groups. They deal with various types of law including family, housing, university, immigration, and more. They also provide a notary service on a walk-in basis. They are located on the 9th floor of the Campus Center, room 922. To set up an appointment with one of their attorneys, you can email them at slso@stuaf.umass.edu.
  3. Recreation Center:Beat that Freshman 15! If you haven’t been to the Recreation Center yet, I highly recommend you do so. As fun as college can be, it can get pretty stressful and nothing is better at relieving stress than working out. Keeping yourself healthy and fit while at school is extremely important. Remember, it’s never too late to get into the best shape of your life! The Recreation Center has plenty of fitness equipments, group fitness classes (including Zumba and Cardio Kickboxing!) and even personal training. To learn more about the Recreation Center or view the group fitness schedule, you can go to http://www.umass.edu/campusrec/index.html.
  4. Writing Center:Writing isn’t everyone’s strong point but it’s unavoidable when at college. For those of you struggling with a writing assignment for class, there is the Writing Center located in the W.E.B. DuBois Library. You can meet with one of their knowledgeable tutors who can give you feedback and advice on your writing project. If you’re having trouble starting the assignment, their tutors can help you with brainstorming and outlining. Pretty awesome, right? You can set up an appointment with one of their tutors here: http://www.umass.edu/writingcenter/index.html.
  5. Office of Information Technologies (OIT):Not everyone is tech-savvy (I know I certainly am not!) For those of you struggling with computer viruses or wireless Internet issues, there is the OIT office located in the Lederle Graduate Research Center. Not only do they help you with your technological issues, they also provide discounts on anti-virus, Adobe and Microsoft software. They can also help you with any problems you’re having with SPARK, Moodle, or Spire. Check out their website here: http://www.oit.umass.edu/

With all these great resources at your disposal, there are no excuses for not getting help on that next paper or skipping a workout. Take advantage of all the wonderful resources UMass provides us… you’ll be glad you did. 

Julie Tran

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran is a current senior majoring in Psychology at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus UMass Amherst chapter. She is a Boston native and has lived in the town of Brighton for the majority of her life.Julie works part-time as an administrative assistant at the Student Legal Services Office on campus. She is also the Co-Founder and Vice-President of Ed2010 at UMass Amherst and a certified Rape Crisis Counselor. Julie doesn't have any solid plans for the future yet but wants to pursue a career in marketing. Her life goal is to travel the world, live in New York City at some point, and have her own business.