Top 4 Best Festive TV Show Episodes to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re like me, you love matching what you read or watch to the season that you’re currently experiencing. It makes me feel like I am experiencing each season to its fullest extent, like I am truly living in the present. As such, here is my list of the top four best festive TV show episodes to get you in the holiday spirit!

Disclaimer: contains spoilers.

Friends: “The One with the Football”

Starting off with a Thanksgiving episode, this episode has all the components of a perfect Thanksgiving: football, fall colors, and friends. It begins with the guys watching a football game on TV, after which they all decide to play a game in real life. An element of humor is introduced as Monica and Ross debate whether they should play after their father banned them from doing so many years ago when Monica broke Ross’ nose during the “Geller Cup.” After many jokes — mainly from Chandler — they decide to play and soon enough, the game turns very competitive… for different reasons. Joey and Chandler battle for the affection of a Dutch woman, while Ross and Monica argue over who is the real winner of the game. At the end of the episode, part of the group enjoys a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, while Monica and Ross are pictured laying on the field still arguing over the victor. This episode is filled with warmth, laughter, and amity, making it very reminiscent of the holiday it’s based on.

Gossip Girl: “Roman Holiday”

First of all, can we appreciate how clever this title is?! This Christmas episode features much drama and romance in a pretty winter package. While Blair is dealing with Chuck’s blackmail, she is also juggling her father’s surprise arrival with his new partner, Roman (hence the apt title). Blair tries to sabotage their relationship to get her dad to move back to New York, but her plan quickly goes awry as her mother sniffs out her scheming. On the other side, Dan and Serena struggle to find the perfect Christmas present for each other. Dan breaks the rules and sneaks a Christmas tree into Serena’s hotel room, her temporary residence, because he wants her to feel like it’s Christmas even in her dreary room. Serena spends the whole day in a studio, creating fake snow — Dan’s wish for Christmas. At the end of the episode, Dan and Serena wake up to real snow, while Blair accepts Roman as part of their family. While this episode is packed with plotting and scheming, everyone comes together at the end for the holidays before the drama begins again.

Gilmore Girls: “The Bracebridge Dinner”

This episode is light, cute, and fun! Lorelei and Sookie plan an elaborate dinner at the inn for the Bracebridge group, but after their stay is canceled because of the snow, she invites all of Stars Hollow instead. On top of that, the 19th-century-themed meal requires that some of the most amusing characters, like Jackson, be dressed up and speak old English, which gives this episode a funny, yet traditional feel. Everyone comes together for this episode, including Paris, Rory’s long-time frenemy. Additionally, sparks fly between Rory and Jess as they share a sleigh ride, even though Rory is in a relationship with Dean. Another couple, Emily and Richard, also experience problems as Richard drops a bomb over dinner: he quit his long-time job. These problems capture our attention without taking away from the twinkling lights, the snowfall, and the sleigh rides.

rory and jess from gilmore girls
Warner Bros. Television
Good Luck Charlie: “Snow Show” Pt.1 & Pt.2

Good Luck Charlie is already so nostalgic for me, but the Christmas episodes are the cherry on top! Whenever I think about the holiday season, the chalet, PJ’s trip to the cabin, and Teddy’s love story promptly come to mind. In this episode, the Duncans go to the Ski Resort where Amy and Bob got married. Already, this sets the mood — homey, light, and romantic. Additionally, Teddy gets a psychic reading from a woman in the lobby who tells her she is going to meet her love match on this trip. However, this two-part saga quickly takes a turn as Teddy meets two guys, unsure of which one is the love of her life, even with Ivy’s help. It doesn’t help that Spencer, her ex-boyfriend, shows up too, and they share a kiss on the ski lift. Amy and Bob find out that their marriage was fake since the wedding officiant was a con artist. At the end of the episode, they renew their vows, bringing it back full circle.

Although all of these episodes have their fair share of negative emotions, they are all overcome in the end (at least for the time being) as the characters forget their problems and come together for the holiday season. On top of being captivating, funny, and charming, these episodes are a great way to get in the holiday spirit! 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Andrea Tchesnovsky

U Mass Amherst '25

Andrea Tchesnovsky is a junior Comparative Literature major at UMass Amherst. Born in Bulgaria, she is fluent in four languages and is currently learning Italian as her fifth. Other than writing, Andrea’s interests include fashion, photography, reading contemporary novels, yoga, and traveling!