Tips for a Sustainable Superbowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s common knowledge that Super Bowl weekend is the equivalent of an American holiday, and it will be an even bigger party in the northeast this year as the Patriots and Giants match up for the second time in four years. Countless dips will be made, chicken wings devoured and kegs tapped in celebration of the all-American sporting event of the year.

An event like a Patriots’ Super Bowl definitely heralds excess, but there are ways to make sure that your shindig won’t yield a tidal wave of trash that will double your normal weekly pickup.

As far as food goes, have your guests bring over dips and appetizers in dishes of their own that are not disposable; aluminum pans and plastic trays in the trash can be easily avoided if your guests opt for a cookie sheet or cake pan instead. To cut down on serving waste, encourage finger foods to avoid plastic cutlery.
Ask friends to bring cookies or brownies instead of a football shaped cake.

The best part of Super Bowl Sunday:  generous amounts of beer for all spectators, whether you’re an avid fan or just relishing the opportunity to day drink. Though controversial in Amherst, a keg would probably be the least wasteful way to go; start a fun tradition and have friends bring their own beer mugs or decorate glasses with friends.

If your budget and/or town bylaws have got you down, single serve cans don’t have to be all-bad. Set up a collection bin for everyone’s empties and take them down to your local redemption center (Liquors 44 accepts most brands, but Stop & Shop won’t take beer cans). If you’re hosting a party of fifteen people and they each bring their own twelve pack, those deposits will add up fast. You’ll have some easy cash in your pocket and all the aluminum, plastic and glass that made your party a success will be available for reconstitution.

These are just a few easy ways to enjoy your football fraternization while diverting the necessities of your revelries from the garbage heap.  Let’s go PATRIOTS!