Tips from a Local: The Absolute Best Thrift Shops in NYC 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So, you are headed to NYC for a trip. You know some shopping will be done, but are unsure where to go. Sure, you can head to SoHo and Fifth Ave, the most popular shopping spots in the city, but I am here to help give you some lesser-known recommendations, at a much better price too. 

I have always loved thrifting, and living in the city, I try to take full advantage of stopping by any thrift shop I pass to see if there are any hidden goodies. Though sometimes I leave unsuccessful, I have plenty of lucky days where I go home with a pair of amazing Levi’s, a new sweater, or some fun jewelry. 

Living in Brooklyn, a majority of my go-to’s are right in my neighborhood, however, I have some other favorites located right in downtown Manhattan. To begin, my absolute favorite thrift shop is Urban Jungle, located in East Williamsburg. This is one of the largest thrift stores I have ever been to, and you can spend over three hours in here just going over every piece they have to offer. Filled to the brim with racks, bins, and cases of jewelry, Urban Jungle is the perfect place to hit if you are looking to leave with multiple bags of clothing. In addition, I have noticed it is much cheaper than other thrift stores in the area, which do seem to charge more than what you would find here in Amherst, Massachusetts. I have been extremely lucky at this thrift shop, and it is certainly not as crowded as some in more touristy areas such as 14th Street and SoHo. 

Next up is Crossroads Trading Co., which is a chain located in multiple different parts of the city. My personal favorite of the plethora of stores is the one located in Williamsburg, as I feel like it is not as crowded and picked through compared to others. Here, you are able to bring in clothing and earn money that you can then use to purchase clothes. They accept a lot of different clothing brought in and are certainly not as picky as other chains such as Beacon’s Closet and Buffalo Exchange. What I especially adore about this shop is the denim selection. There are racks of different jeans, ranging from Levi’s 501s to low-rise True Religion. It is my go-to place when I am hunting for a new pair of jeans, and it is where I bought my two absolute favorite pairs of denim. 

Moving out of Brooklyn, and as mentioned previously, another one of my favorite spots is Beacon’s Closet, located right on 14th Street. Being near NYU, a majority of the clothes being sold here are trendy and relevant to what people want, so you will certainly recognize the brands here. One of my absolute favorite parts of Beacon’s is the jewelry. Walking right in, there is a large case full of unique rings, intricate gold necklaces, and funky sunglasses. Though a tad more expensive, it is a place to find new jewelry that you have likely seen no one else wear. 

My last recommendation is Awoke Vintage, also located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Though this is a vintage shop, meaning prices are typical to what you would see in a normal store, the clothing there are original pieces that are incredibly cute. Entering the shop you see stacks and stacks of Levi’s, along with a section just for vintage sweatshirts and graphic tee’s. Though I purchase less clothing here due to the price, a majority of my favorite pieces in my closet are from Awoke Vintage. This is also a great spot to see a celebrity or two!

Thrifting in New York City is some of the best you can get around, and I always am eager to show my friends around each store and see how many good finds we can scavenge for. Check out any of these spots, and I am sure you will end up leaving with at least one new addition to your wardrobe!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Sara Keegan

U Mass Amherst '26

Sara is a freshman at UMass studying Political Science. Some of her passions include reading, going to concerts, and traveling.