This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Time. We created the concept, but now it’s hard to imagine living life without it. It gives us a sense of urgency to complete goals, a system that allows us to stay on schedule, and a reminder to live each day to the fullest. As perhaps one of the most popular quotes of unknown origins tells us, “This too shall pass.” A reminder that the most challenging times will not last forever, but the most cherished will fade too. 

Here are 5 situations when time matters the most:

1. When you don’t utilize it. Everyone has those days were the chances of being productive are about as likely as finding a unicorn. However, staying organized and being mindful of the goals we must complete will help to avoid said days. Productivity is all about reward. Promise yourself something enjoyable for your efforts such as time with a friend, or a trip to your favorite book store and work diligently till you’ve earned it. If only we could freeze time to achieve everything without sacrificing anything. 

2. When you meet someone you really connect with.Nothing feels worse than meeting the right person at the wrong time. You experience the profound sense of comfort and joy that comes with finding someone you could imagine being in a relationship with, yet you can’t. You may also experience the sadness of the end of a relationship when it seems you’re both at different points in your life. Time must be in accordance with our hearts plans or we’re destined for a long wait or a forced ending to our feelings. Thankfully, when it’s finally right, we can look back fondly at all the times we struggled.

3. When it’s shared with loved ones.Making time for family and friends is the most important choice we will ever make. Unravel yourself from the stresses of everyday life once in a while to give your family a call. The people who love us the most are often the people we neglect the most, thinking they will always be there, but one day they may not. In the end, no one will be there for you like your family. Make every moment count and make those moments abundant.

4. When we forget to live in the moment.Lao Tzu once said, “If you are depressed you are living in the past. 
If you are anxious you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace you are living in the present.” When we become conscious of the simple joys of day-to-day life, we are happiest. As you walk out of your hardest class after a long, stressful week and your iPod begins to play your favorite song as the sun goes down, casting orange and gold light across campus, it’s okay to smile to yourself just because life is beautiful.

5. When it comes to living life to the fullest.We all wish we had endless time to make the decisions that will matter most in the long run, but life doesn’t always work that way. Many opportunities will leave us as swiftly as they presented themselves if we don’t act promptly. Be bold, Collegiettes. Take that study abroad trip you’ve been thinking about; you won’t always have the free time you have now to travel. It will expand your horizons and open your mind! Don’t hold back your feelings for fear of what might happen, the potential reward is almost always greater than the potential negatives. Live life without regret by taking chances.

In all of your endeavors, I wish you the best of times Collegiettes. XO

Photos: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Bethany Thomas

U Mass Amherst

Bethany Thomas is a Senior double major in Journalism and Philosophy at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about travel and writing and hopes to combine the two in a career seeing the world while spreading awareness of global issues. Her biggest goal in life is to help others in all that she does.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst