CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections MAKEUP?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Style > Beauty

TikTok Made Me Buy It: Was It Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you are an avid TikTok user like me, chances are you have been influenced to buy something (or many things) after watching a video. From makeup products to Trader Joe’s snacks, TikTok creators have gone viral by hyping up certain items, often prompting them to sell out in stores. In this modest list, I will share three items I have been influenced to buy and rate them 1 through 10 based on their price and effectiveness.

Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Liquid Blush

I am starting off with one of the most highly sought-after makeup products right now, largely popularized by TikTok. The Rare Beauty blush has been on-again-off-again sold out for months, but I was able to get my hands on one online at Sephora. I ordered it in its famous shade, “happy,” and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was only $23. A quality makeup brand that is affordable and owned by Miss Selena Gomez? Count me in. This liquid blush is the definition of “a little bit goes a long way.” It is super pigmented and has the prettiest coral-pink hue. I have had it for a couple of months now, and I am not going to run out anytime soon. It blends seamlessly on top of my foundation, but I also use it when I am not wearing any face makeup underneath. My only complaint is that the liquid blush often leaks onto the outside of the container when you open and close it, making a mess in my makeup bag.

Rating: 8/10

Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liner & Tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Plump

This item is a two-for-one deal because I was indeed influenced to buy both. I saw a video of a makeup artist using these products together and was immediately convinced. I have never been much of a lip liner user, but I kept hearing about the Charlotte Tilbury lip liner and decided to try it myself. In the video, the influencer used the shade “pillow talk” of course, and paired it with the Tarte lip gloss in “mixed berries.” In this case, the lip gloss is the star of the show, and the lip liner is its backup singer. While this was my first-ever lip liner purchase, I definitely don’t think it is worth $25. “Pillow talk” is a nice shade that pairs well with the lip gloss I bought, but I plan on finding a more affordable NYX one after I run out. On the other hand, I really like the Tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Plump and I usually just use it without any lip liner. It lives up to its “juicy” name, but the “lip plump” part can be brushed aside. It is thicker than a normal lip gloss so it makes your lips appear fuller. However, if you are specifically looking for a plumping effect, I would go with a different product.

Rating: 3/10 (Charlotte Tilbury), 7/10 (Tarte)

Trader Joe’s Crunchy Curls

If you aren’t familiar with crunchy curls, they are a chip-like lentil and potato snack. If you have heard of them before, I would be 99% sure it was from TikTok creator @brialem. Bria is famous for her avocado toast, which she always makes while snacking on a bag of crunchy curls. I was intrigued by these, so of course I bought them at my next Trader Joe’s trip. I’m not going to lie, these are not the most flavorful snack. As Bria says, they are flavorless and that’s the beauty of it. However, where flavor lacks, texture makes up for. Their crunchy texture makes them fun to eat, and I actually enjoy a snack that isn’t too salty. They are a healthier alternative to a bag of potato chips and even have three grams of protein per serving. Crunchy curls also taste great with French onion dip, or anything you would normally eat potato chips with. At only $2.99 for a large bag, they have become part of my weekly grocery list. So, while they may not be for everyone, crunchy curls are one of my favorite TikTok finds and I encourage everyone to try them.

Rating: 9/10

TikTok has allowed me to find some products I really love, but it has also made me spend money on things I don’t need. As influencer culture permeates social media, be careful about what you buy. Many creators get paid for promoting a product, so do your research before clicking the “place order” button. In the meantime, I will be documenting my TikTok purchases in the form of Her Campus articles, so expect more ratings and reviews to come.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Greer Long

U Mass Amherst '24

Greer is a senior at UMass studying communication and business. She is a content editor and this is her fifth semester writing for Her Campus. In her free time, Greer enjoys shopping, food blogging, and traveling to new places.