Thinking About Studying Abroad? 5 Top Tips from a UMass Study Abroad Peer Advisor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Has it always been your dream to study abroad? Are you just hearing about the possibility of taking a semester in another country? Are you just a little bit interested? Not sure where to start? Well then, you’re in luck! I am a study abroad peer advisor at UMass Amherst, and I am here to give you the inside scoop when it comes to navigating the study abroad process. 

To give me a little bit of credibility, here’s some information about me. I studied abroad at the University College Cork in Ireland during the Spring of 2022. I took classes for both my majors and my minor while also taking some interesting electives unique to Ireland. I am graduating on time with a dual degree in Public Health and Economics, and have been a peer advisor for a little over seven months. Enough about me, here are my top five tips for navigating the study abroad process at UMass Amherst.

hills and ocean in Northern Ireland
Original photo by Sophia Apteker
Start Early

It is never too early to start thinking and planning for your study abroad semester. While you don’t start applying for study abroad until typically the semester before you go, you can start doing some prep work even during your freshman year! 

The first step to studying abroad is to talk to your academic advisor. With your advisor, you can map out your four years at UMass to make sure you’re taking the right classes and to make sure you graduate on time. Abroad is not restricted to any majors! Anyone can go. Of course, for certain majors like nursing, education, computer science, studio arts, and engineering, among others, it can be a little bit more difficult to find classes than say a psychology or business major. However, do not fear! There are many options for even the most niche majors.

Check out the IPO’s handy resource Steps to Study Abroad to find out more info.

My top tips when thinking about classes: Save your AL/AT, HS, and DG gen-eds for abroad! They are generally easy to find on most abroad programs. For Isenberg students, you can take all your breadth credits abroad. For students with more specific majors or STEM intensive, check out programs in Germany, Cyprus, and Thailand. 

A little side note, if you don’t have a passport yet or it is expiring soon, start the process of renewing it ASAP! Your passport has to be valid for six months after the end of your study abroad. Don’t wait till you apply since passport renewal can be a long process.

Dream Big

UMass offers a very wide range of study abroad programs with destinations all over the world. Students study abroad throughout Europe, South America, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. 

Don’t feel like you have to follow the crowd, you may hear many students head to Florence, Italy, and Barcelona and Madrid, Spain. These are wonderful cities to study abroad in, but perhaps consider a small city in Spain such as San Sebastian, Valencia, or Sevilla. Or maybe South America is calling your name and you can check out Argentina. Or shift gears completely and consider Japan. 

Asides from a typical study abroad, meaning just taking classes, there are also many other different opportunities! Several programs like CAPA offer internships in cities from London to Barcelona to Sydney. Other programs like School for Field Studies offer opportunities for field research in Tanzania and Chile. The options are almost endless, so dream big. 

Asides from fall and spring semester programs, UMass also offers winter and summer abroad programs as well!

Log into the UMass Abroad Portal to see ALL the programs we offer.

Taiwan Night Market
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Talk to a Study Abroad Peer Advisor

After talking to an academic advisor and doing some thinking (or dreaming), your next step is to venture over to the International Programs Office (IPO) and meet with one of the Education Abroad peer advisors. The peer advisors can give you all the details about the study abroad process, including how to find a program, navigate the website, and how the application process works. The process can be confusing, but the peers have all been through the process and have been trained to give you the most accurate advice!

Some inside tips: As of May 2023, grades from your study abroad semester do not go into your GPA but do go on your transcript. Additionally, if you receive scholarships, loans, or other financial aid, most can be used to pay for your study abroad! For some students, especially out-of-state or international students, studying abroad can be cheaper than a semester at UMass. We have many programs that are under $15k, including housing and tuition. 

The IPO office is located behind the new Newman Center and right next to Gorman Hall in Central. There are drop-in hours from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with peer advisors Monday through Friday. Check out the IPO website for updated hours. 

Be Mindful of the Deadlines

Deadlines are super important in the study abroad process. For most programs, you apply the semester before you go. Deadlines for the Spring semester typically fall around October, but for some locations like Amsterdam and London, they may be even earlier! Make sure to follow the deadline on both the UMass application and your program’s application. Don’t wait until just before the deadline to apply! If you have the time, start the process as soon as you get back to campus the semester before you want to go abroad. Visit the IPO office and we can help! 

A little caveat: depending on where you choose to go and what passport you hold, you may need a visa! Don’t worry about those logistics just yet, IPO and your program will help you with that process once you’ve applied. 

Communicate

Once you’ve decided you want to go abroad, communication is key! Communication with the IPO, with your academic advisors, and with the program you choose is vital. Make sure you keep a close eye on your emails and keep up to date with any protocols you may need to follow. 

Studying abroad was one of the highlights of my college experience. While the process may seem a little overwhelming, these tips should help soothe your nerves for now. If there is one final tip I can give you, go to the IPO office and speak to a peer advisor! It’s their job to help you navigate what can be a confusing process at first. Start early, dream big, and apply. Happy traveling! 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Karishma Mistry

U Mass Amherst '23

Karishma is the Editor-in-Chief and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in public health and economics. Some of her passions include advocating for female health, reading, and anything involving food. As a dual citizen of the US and UK, she loves to travel. Feel free to follow her on Instagram @karishmamiistry or her foodstagram @munchinwk.