The Zodiac Signs as Songs on Boygenius’ New Record

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Boygenius is an indie rock band composed of singer-songwriters Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus. The three previously successful musicians combined to create music that conceals emotional vulnerability behind deceptively catchy hooks. The Record, Boygenius’ first full-length studio album, was released on March 31. Given the album’s popularity, I’ve awarded each zodiac sign a song that reflects its unique characteristics!

Aries – “$20”

“In another life, we were arsonists”

“$20,” like Aries, is a daring and explosive song. Aries need to be more flexible and direct in their approach and easily upset by excessive intricacies and unneeded complexities. This music has a beautifully chaotic, diverse personality, similar to hearing your finest and worst impulses battle it out in your internal monologue and coming out stronger. Aries is not a gentle sign, and they never fail to express their beliefs forcefully, which is why this song is an obvious fit for this brazen fire sign.

Taurus – “Not strong enough”

“I tried, I can’t / Stop staring at the ceiling fan and / Spinning out about the things that haven’t happened”

Lyrically,”‘Not Strong Enough” explores the duality of feeling self-hatred while hiding it behind a God complex. Bridgers elaborated to Rolling Stone that the songs address the contradiction of the two wolves inside us: self-hatred and self-aggrandizement. She cannot be the companion her lover desires because she is too messed up to show up for them. Taurus people are committed to their decisions and persevere until they achieve personal fulfillment. Their drive and commitment are frequently misinterpreted as stubbornness, but they have a great sense of responsibility. The ideal of striving so hard to be a certain kind of person for someone else was reminiscent of Taurus and how they dealt with their problems. 

Gemini – “Leonard Cohen”

“Leonard Cohen once said / “There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in”

Gemini is a zodiac sign with two personalities in one, making them forthright and quick-witted. They are social, chatty, and always up for a good time, yet they can also become severe, thoughtful, and restless. This song is titled after folk singer Leonard Cohen and the group quotes him in the song, implying that missteps can result in unexpected beautiful experiences that enrich the artist’s friendship. Communication and verbal interaction are equally vital to Gemini as physical contact is. The concept of camaraderie and the exhilaration of making mistakes and turning them around for the better makes this song ideal for Geminis.

Cancer – “We’re in love”

“Will you still love me if it turns out I’m insane? / I know what you’ll say, but it helps to hear you say it anyway”

Cancer is a zodiac sign that is highly intuitive and sentimental, much like the song “We’re In Love.” Cancers are highly emotional and sensitive and prioritize matters relating to their loved ones. “We’re in Love” is a deep and thoughtful song that discusses the unique connection between two individuals in love. The lyrics address the vulnerability, the fear of losing one’s sanity, and the longing for a permanent relationship transcending time and distance. With Cancer being an emotional sign, this song felt like a natural choice for this water sign.

Leo – “True Blue”

“Your love is tough, your love is tried and true-blue”

“True Blue” is a song about devotion and true love–the kind of love in which someone understands you better than you know yourself. Leos are often kind and loyal, allowing them to maintain many intimate relationships. Their self-assurance and grace enable them to bring different kinds of people together and guide them toward a shared objective. This gives them a warm heart, and they appreciate living life and having fun. If there were a song that could personify a hug, this would be it. Its heartwarming lyrics complement this fiery sign.

Virgo – “Cool about it”

“Once, I took your medication to know what it’s like / And now I have to act like I can’t read your mind”

“Cool About It” delves into the tense, conciliatory period that follows a breakup, when you escape from a relationship into a wasteland of platitudes and deceptions. Virgos are recognized for their precise attention to detail and a deep sense of humanity, making them one of the zodiac’s most loving signs. Although Virgos are sensitive, they may close their hearts to the outside world. This indication needs to be more frequently interpreted, not because they cannot communicate, but because they don’t always trust their sentiments and prefer logic over emotions. This song only explores Virgos’ inner anxiousness towards perfection.

Libra – “emily i’m sorry”

“And I can feel myself becoming / Someone only you could want”

“Emily, I’m Sorry” is a song about the fears and sense of loss that come with a failing love relationship. Some of us silently believe that every relationship must succeed; if it does not, there is something wrong with ourselves. Librans are recognized for their gentle and fair demeanor, and they often dread being alone. They value partnership and seek someone who can represent their inner selves. They will take tremendous measures to avoid conflict and keep the peace wherever possible. This song speaks directly to the heart of every broken-hearted Libra.

Scorpio – “revolution 0”

“Imaginary friend, you live up in my head / So I’ve been making music / Since you told me to do it”

The song “Revolution 0” describes how you feel after a breakup. Even after the breakup, what this individual said to the narrator in the song still matters since she is listening to their advice to make music. Furthermore, she is ready to fight anyone who trespasses with her former partner. Scorpios are noted for their fiery and aggressive personalities and a level of dedication and focus often unrivaled by other zodiac signs. They will defend those they care about, and close relationships are very important to them because they take longer to open up. “Revolution 0” represents Scorpio’s stubbornness towards their true emotions and feelings.

Sagittarius – “anti-curse”

“Tried to be a halfway decent friend / Wound up a bad comedian / An honest fool with more bad habits / Than you can count”

Sagittarius’s open mind and philosophical beliefs inspire them to explore the world in search of the meaning of life, just as Julien Baker did in “Anti-curse.” The song is about a period when Baker almost lost her life, and it concludes that whether or not a person appreciates life is a matter of perspective. Sagittarius people are noted for their curiosity and vitality, making them excellent travelers of the zodiac. Sagittarius isn’t afraid to use its bow and arrow to explore vast terrain, seeking answers in places and regions where others would be scared to go, as Baker’s lyrics allow us to do in this song.

Capricorn – “Without you without them”

“Until the words run dry, we’ll see eye to eye”

It is difficult to catch a Capricorn’s attention and heart, but once their walls are broken, and their heart opens up, they can be committed for a lifetime. This is why “Without You Without Them” fits this earthy sign well. “Without You Without Them” is possibly the most overtly romantic song on the album. The vocalist wishes to elevate their relationship to a higher level of meaning, and part of her technique for doing so is lavishing admiration on him – and even his parents. Capricorns are loyal and industrious people you can always count on to be there for you, as Boygenius tries to prove to their lover in this song.

Aquarius – “Satanist”

“Will you be a Satanist with me? Mortgage off your soul to buy your dream”

For an Aquarius, intellectual stimulation is the most potent aphrodisiac. Openness, communication, imagination, and a willingness to take risks fit well with this zodiac sign’s emotional environment. Their compatibility with other signs can be complicated because they symbolize the opposition and have difficulty relating to others if their feeling of independence is threatened or they perceive it to be. This is perfectly illustrated in “Satanist” because the song attempts to determine how committed the person to whom the narrator is singing is to their relationship. The singer then fantasizes about the couple leading an outlaw lifestyle, complete with “killing(ing) the bourgeoisie” and “spray painting ATMs.” This restless independence, excitement, loyalty, and profound connection ticks all the boxes for Aquarius.

Pisces – “letter to an old poet”

“I wanna be happy / I’m ready to walk into my room without lookin’ for you”

Pisces is a friendly sign frequently found in the company of varied people. They are selfless and constantly want to serve others, which is admirable if they do not ask too much in return. This song is the Achilles heel for Pisces since it is about unreciprocated love, i.e., the addressee being someone to whom the vocalist has given her all, with the latter eventually admitting that this other does not appreciate her efforts. In the end, this person is portrayed as evil, but the vocalist bears some blame for tolerating such behavior. Pisces people are normally compassionate and generous with their relationships. However, in their pursuit of love, they may sometimes sacrifice their moral ideals, giving up pieces of themselves for those they love, which is the story presented in this song.

While these songs can be taken in various ways, I enjoyed looking at them from an astrological perspective. Whether you know all the words or have never listened to the album, we can all admire Boygenius’ incredible lyricism and musical depth.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Lexi Lackmann

U Mass Amherst '26

Lexi Lackmann is a freshman at UMass Amherst majoring in journalism with a concentration in public relations. In her free time she loves reading, horror movies, drawing, and experimenting with makeup and fashion.