Wellness > Mental Health

The Psychology Behind Emotional Support Animals and Why Mine is My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In the thick of the pandemic, right after graduating high school, I convinced my Mom to let me get a kitten. I knew at this point that I was going to be home for at least my first Fall semester of college and I so badly wanted a little animal buddy to alleviate some of the emotional turmoil COVID-19 created. After a little bit of resistance, I finally had my best friend, Kal. 

When I got my cat, I had no idea the effect he would have on me. I’ve always had dogs, cats, fish, and hamsters growing up, and they were fun, but Kal was different: he was a ray of light in a time that felt so dark and hopeless. He plays all of the time, he has to be put to bed every night, he goes on walks outside, and he is just the funniest, most comforting animal. It wasn’t until I left for school without him that I realized how much he helped me cope with the lasting repercussions of the pandemic.

As I went to college, I met quite a few people who registered their animals as emotional support animals, and to be honest I hadn’t known that was a thing until then. But the physical and mental benefits of living with an animal are immense. They alleviate worry and provide companionship to those that are prone to isolation and loneliness because they fulfill the basic human need for touch. They help increase their owner’s level of activity, which can be very helpful for people with depression. Since they require feeding, exercise, and attention, they can help provide structure and routine to someone’s day. Animals reduce chronic pain, they can sense emotional distress, and they can aid in reducing anxiety. In addition, playing with pets increases levels of serotonin and dopamine, increasing calm and relaxation. Animals have an ability to improve human health and well-being simply by their presence, so for someone dealing with mental health issues or desiring companionship, an emotional support animal will be so beneficial. 

What’s perfect is that you don’t have to own the animal to reap the benefits of their company. Simply taking care of an animal, whether you’re dog-sitting or working at an animal shelter, increases your capacity to love and decreases depression. Basic interaction and taking care of animals does wonders because they’re constantly giving us unconditional love. The list could go on and on about the benefits of emotional support animals, so if you’re considering getting one, I hope I’ve given you lots of reasons not to hesitate! 

Every time I went home during my first semester on campus, seeing Kal made the hard times so much easier. Just being home with him these past two weeks has improved my mental health in ways that couldn’t have been done without him. So, give your animals some extra cuddles and kisses when you get home, they deserve it!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Megan Hawkins

U Mass Amherst '24

Meg is a sophomore at UMass Amherst and is a Psychology Neuroscience and Chemistry double major! She loves everything about the outdoors, but hiking/backpacking and biking are her favorites. She plays tennis and loves to bake cupcakes, and her perfect day would consist of going on walks with her cat, Kal.